Do Americans need a visa to study in Canada?

Hey all, 

I was told by a Canadian university that I was on a visa student waitlist. Since there's is an American applicant who was waitlisted on the board, I'd like to know if they also count as visa students in Canada. I heard that Americans only need a permit and not a visa? Is that right? Thanks.

Edited by steve3020

A visa is a document that allows you to enter a country for a purpose. Americans generally do not need this to enter Canada (it's granted at the border).

A work/study permit is a document that allows you to remain in the country and work/study there for a period of time.

For Americans, you are eligible to apply for a study permit at the Canadian border instead of submitting an application ahead of time. This is much easier, according to my US friends, but allow time for this when you enter Canada. Here is some more details: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/students/application.asp (when you click on the R214 link, it shows a list of people eligible to apply at the border and it includes "a national or a permanent resident of the United States;")

However, it's not clear what you are asking here. You said the school told you that you were on a "visa student waitlist". Schools don't issue visas. Have you been admitted to this school yet? If not, then I think what the school means is that you are on a waitlist to get accepted. Some schools have separate admittance streams for Canadian students (non-visa) and international students (visa students). So, if you have not yet been admitted to the school, what they might mean is that you are on a waitlist for acceptance and this is the waitlist for visa students. And they are imprecisely using the term "visa student" to mean "all international students" regardless of whether or not you need a visa! 

The reason why there are separate streams is that international students cost more so they often have a quota/limit on how many students they can admit. 

7 hours ago, TakeruK said:

A visa is a document that allows you to enter a country for a purpose. Americans generally do not need this to enter Canada (it's granted at the border).

A work/study permit is a document that allows you to remain in the country and work/study there for a period of time.

For Americans, you are eligible to apply for a study permit at the Canadian border instead of submitting an application ahead of time. This is much easier, according to my US friends, but allow time for this when you enter Canada. Here is some more details: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/students/application.asp (when you click on the R214 link, it shows a list of people eligible to apply at the border and it includes "a national or a permanent resident of the United States;")

However, it's not clear what you are asking here. You said the school told you that you were on a "visa student waitlist". Schools don't issue visas. Have you been admitted to this school yet? If not, then I think what the school means is that you are on a waitlist to get accepted. Some schools have separate admittance streams for Canadian students (non-visa) and international students (visa students). So, if you have not yet been admitted to the school, what they might mean is that you are on a waitlist for acceptance and this is the waitlist for visa students. And they are imprecisely using the term "visa student" to mean "all international students" regardless of whether or not you need a visa! 

The reason why there are separate streams is that international students cost more so they often have a quota/limit on how many students they can admit. 

Hi, Takeruk. Thanks for the explanation. Yes, I understand that I'm on the international student waitlist (I'm a non-American intl student). I was wondering if Americans also count as international students. I was just trying to gauge my chance of getting accepted since I was told that the waitlist is quite short. Thanks!