SSHRC 2010

Hypatia

What if you delayed your graduation date but got all the work wrapped up well before, so that there is minimal interference with your PhD work? Would delaying your graduation affect your official PhD start date? If not, then why not delay? Sounds worth it (financially).

I think that because you still have another year of your program afterwards you are OK. As it was explained to me, my problem is that I don't have another year of the SAME degree. I had thought this would be OK because we usually graduate in November, but I have since found out we graduate from this program in June. I hadn't been sure whether or not I would be done this spring, so I had my funding start in September in case I wasn't.

But to me (and I am not sure) you seem OK.

Oh yes, I'm also quite tired of classes at the moment, so I know where you're coming from. But try not to feel too bad - you're doing a PhD!! That's nothing to sneeze at. Maybe you should consider other awards that may be available at your institution, so that in the event that you don't get this one, you can apply to other things. Don't let your lack of confidence dictate what you do...best to just apply, try your best and sooner or later you will succeed!

I hear you re: grad school doing a number on your self-esteem. A major goal of mine is to not let my self esteem be too contingent on the successes and failures along the way. Failure is bound to happen. And as people here have said, getting a SSHRC doesn't mean you are a great researcher - nor does not getting one mean that you are a crap researcher.

Hmm, is the SSHRC really considered that prestigious? Not sure what the perception is. I think it would look nice on the CV, but I'm not sure it's really going to wow anyone? Maybe I'm wrong though. I agree with you regarding the financial benefit. That's why I think it's important to apply for anything you are eligible for and just keep applying until you get something.

Good luck! :)

Thanks, you're very correct. I was so pleased to make it to the second round, but as the months pass by I am very aware of my increasing anxiety :/

I want the award for both reasons honestly. The prestige really helps to build your CV, and the financial benefit ensures you have more time to focus upon your own work.. which translates into a more developed CV. I think it also helps your confidence. I know graduate school has done a number on my confidence over the years, it's a bit of a roller coaster eh? - Good grade = Yay I'm awesome. Bad grade = I am the worst student ever. Accepted paper = I am the best researcher everrrr! Rejection letters = why am I here, I'm not good enough. - Hahaha, I'm sure you all get my point. So I think the recognition builds confidence in important ways.

I guess on the financial level, I'm currently the main income in my home as my partner is also a student (He supported me during the end of my BA, so we've switched roles now that I have more earning power). So that can be a little stressful.

If I don't get it, I won't be super surprised.. as I said my award record is much shorter than most PhD students, and my research contributions are limited as well. So I'm crossing my fingers, but I would understand why I wouldn't be selected. There is always next year, hopefully I can get a few of my working papers out for review or something.

Someone brought up the point about the disciplinary variation. I think this is really important honestly. Social sciences and the humanities are quite different fields. On the other hand, trans-disciplinary collaboration is the theme of the future... so maybe people are more informed about what is a good proposal for psychology versus english versus sociology. (At least I hope!!) The "Matthew effect" is definitely discouraging...

Sorry to be so negative, I'm doing PhD coursework and I'm very burnt out. (We all are I'm sure) So again, good luck everyone. (Fingers crossed!)

What if you delayed your graduation date but got all the work wrapped up well before, so that there is minimal interference with your PhD work? Would delaying your graduation affect your official PhD start date? If not, then why not delay? Sounds worth it (financially).

Yes, I think that is what I will have to do. But my fury at the person at my grad school who told me "oh no, it doesn't make a difference" knows no bounds! I'm still concerned this might somehow effect my eligibility if I got doctoral SSHRC. (Anyone know?) To be honest, it's just the stress of this on top of the defense...

What a mess! If only I had known about this board last May! Could have asked some people who were a bit more informed!

Sounds very frustrating. Well, I hope things work out somehow. It doesn't seem like it should effect your doctoral SSHRC eligibility, but I don't know for sure.

Good luck!

Yes, I think that is what I will have to do. But my fury at the person at my grad school who told me "oh no, it doesn't make a difference" knows no bounds! I'm still concerned this might somehow effect my eligibility if I got doctoral SSHRC. (Anyone know?) To be honest, it's just the stress of this on top of the defense...

What a mess! If only I had known about this board last May! Could have asked some people who were a bit more informed!

They were right: it doesn't make a difference if you're still a student. I am completely baffled by your anger. SSHRC isn't a lump sum thing, it's more like an ongoing paycheck to support you while you're in school. Of course no longer being in school means you no longer get your payments. Sounds like defense stress is taking a toll on you.

I don't see why it would affect your eligibility if you get the doctoral SSHRC.

To answer the question above about reasons why I want SSHRC: Prestige, flexibility, and mat leave! If you're not working enough to be eligible for EI, you can get four months of mat leave from SSHRC, paid at the level of your scholarship. That would definitely make (maybe) having a kid during my PhD slightly less insane in a still crazy kind of way.

I think she's frustrated because she was given misinformation in the first place, not because she doesn't agree with their policy.

I didn't know that about mat leave. Nice to know.

They were right: it doesn't make a difference if you're still a student. I am completely baffled by your anger. SSHRC isn't a lump sum thing, it's more like an ongoing paycheck to support you while you're in school. Of course no longer being in school means you no longer get your payments. Sounds like defense stress is taking a toll on you.

I don't see why it would affect your eligibility if you get the doctoral SSHRC.

To answer the question above about reasons why I want SSHRC: Prestige, flexibility, and mat leave! If you're not working enough to be eligible for EI, you can get four months of mat leave from SSHRC, paid at the level of your scholarship. That would definitely make (maybe) having a kid during my PhD slightly less insane in a still crazy kind of way.

Haha, me too actually. :P But seriously, NSERC already got back to people a loooong time ago (last week, I believe) and in the US, people expect to hear about NSF this week! (I know these things are not related, but still.) Like, how much time do they need?

I admire your optimism. ;)

I think you are right... :S I heard a funny joke the other day about statistics and I think we can substitute "on this thread" for "in my statistics class": If I had only one day left to live, I would live it in my statistics class; it would seem so much longer. :)

By the way, I'm doomed to suffer longer than most because I'm in the US and will have to wait for the mail. Is there any chance that SSHRC will send out electronic notifications? Or perhaps once I know the results are out, I can email them and expect an informative response, or do you think that's too much to ask?

it will feel like forever if we post here every day (and I'm saying it as someone who checked out this thread 4 times a day)! ;)

Edited by Phyllis Stein

I think you are right... :S I heard a funny joke the other day about statistics and I think we can substitute "on this thread" for "in my statistics class": If I had only one day left to live, I would live it in my statistics class; it would seem so much longer. smile.gif

By the way, I'm doomed to suffer longer than most because I'm in the US and will have to wait for the mail. Is there any chance that SSHRC will send out electronic notifications? Or perhaps once I know the results are out, I can email them and expect an informative response, or do you think that's too much to ask?

These guys are sticklers. They won't give out individual results by any other means but snail mail. I guess we now know some actually suffered the ramifications of Y2K and never made it to the 21st century. ;)

Just heard from SSHRC that results should be out towards the end of the month. This means there's still time. I'd say in approx. 3 weeks we'd all have the final decisions with us.

ARRRGH!

Just heard from SSHRC that results should be out towards the end of the month. This means there's still time. I'd say in approx. 3 weeks we'd all have the final decisions with us.

Thanks for letting us know.

Did you call them, RaaR? Just wondering how you got in touch.

I'm going to remain hopeful that they come out mid-April, and that they said end of the month so we can't complain if there's a delay!

:)

Got in touch with them by email. I wasn't too happy about that piece of information as well, but perhaps there's still reason to stay optimistic as you said, who knows. I actually believe that if they say things should be out towards the end of the month then it probably means we should expect to get news some time in May. Oh well.. couple of weeks and it's all done.

Uggh..I think the best thing we can all do is find some project to keep us very, very busy for the next month and the be pleasantly surprised when you check the mail one day and there is an envelope that says "SSHRC" on it. Okay, I'm going to do something drastic now and remove the link to this thread from my bookmarks. I will find out about SSHRC when the letter arrives. What's the point of trying to anticipate it? The letter will come when it does! No amount of anticipation will change the outcome, so why spend precious mental resources thinking about it before then?

On that note, bye bye and good luck to all!

Got in touch with them by email. I wasn't too happy about that piece of information as well, but perhaps there's still reason to stay optimistic as you said, who knows. I actually believe that if they say things should be out towards the end of the month then it probably means we should expect to get news some time in May. Oh well.. couple of weeks and it's all done.