The waiting game...and what it means.

emfarce

So before I get into what I want to talk about, let me give you some of my stats.

3.15 uGPA from Northeastern University in Boston, 3.0 major. Had a rough first year, and addressed this in my SOP. 3.5 GPA for final 60 credit hours, so I made up some ground there. GRE scores were 159 V, 161 Q, and 4.0 writing (meh). 3 summer research co-ops at NU, and six months experience working at a cancer biology lab at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute (let go because of funding issues). Strong LORs (two former PIs, one former plant bio professor).

Applied to 11 schools, focusing on plant biology. Had one interview at Michigan State (PLB), but have yet to hear from there, as well as Oregon State ( BBP) , Washington State (PLB), Colorado State (Botany), U Minnesota (PBS).

I understand rolling acceptances occur, but if I didn't get an interview, what is taking them so long to get back to me? Being in limbo like this makes you ask yourself a lot of questions, and I'm sure many of you can relate. Are any of you in the same boat, or have been at one point? Or, has anybody heard from the programs that were previously mentioned?

Thanks a lot! 

Edited by emfarce

I only applied to one school (yes, I know, that was stupid), and after not hearing from them after the time frame they stated on their website, I started calling anonymously once or twice a month asking if they knew when interview invitations would be sent out. Two weeks ago they were still telling me they hadn't finished doing the initial application review, and I had to find out from someone on here that they'd already finished interviews. 

I know that realistically, no interview means I've been rejected, but there's the obnoxiously optimistic part of me that keeps chirping "Maybe you were just so good that you're getting accepted without an interview!" and I really wish they'd just send me the inevitable rejection so I can stop leaning on irrational hope and move on with my life.

Sigh... So far, I've only heard from 1 out of the 4 schools I've applied to and that was a rejection. I figure it can only get better from here, eh? LOL! Well, this waiting game is RIDICULOUS! Luckily I have completing my thesis and applying to jobs to keep me busy (thank Goodness) because up until last week, I was one of those people who checked my email every 3 minutes. Now I have stuff to occupy (some/most) of my time...

I'm still waiting to hear back from NYU's Tisch Dramatic Writing MFA, Boston U's Journalism and University of Leeds MA Writing for Performance and Publication.

If I'm rejected why take sooooo long to tell meeeeeeeeeeeeeee? If I'm accepted, same question!!!!

Oh the agony!

Best of luck to us all!

The best way to approach this situation is to always have a back up plan. Academia is ruthless, and you do not want to be left empty-handed. My advice is to assume rejection until you are accepted. In the meantime, plan for the future. Look for post-baccalaureate opportunities, MS programs with late admissions, or tech positions. Then, if you are rejected from every program, you will still have something going, and you can start looking forward to the next admissions cycle. In short, do not sit around waiting for rejection letters, hoping for the best. Be proactive. It's the only way to be successful in academia. 

My girlfriend applied to several programs for neuroscience. By March, she had several rejections and no interviews. She started applying for jobs and MS programs in Boston (where I was going). She had two job interviews and an MS acceptance when she finally got an interview and subsequent acceptance for a PhD program. 

Keep your head up and be aggressive. Look for exciting ways to spend a gap year so if you do not get into a PhD program, you'll still have something going. 

Don't lose hope guys, I applied to 13 schools over 2 cycles, and I got rejected by 12. After consistently inquiring about my application the last one took another look at my application and decided to offer me an interview. Be persistent. It will eventually pay off.