CUNY Hunter vs. MGH???? (saving $$ vs. Medical Placements?)

Choosing between these two great programs, want to work in a medical setting, but would get in state tuition to CUNY Hunter, anyone have insight as to which program I should pick??? 

Do you think the clinical placements in a medical setting opportunities at MGH outweigh the money I would save by attending Hunter if I ultimately want to work in a hospital?

Edited by slp665

I don't know about the graduate programs, but I took some prerequisite courses online at MGH. The professors were wonderful and really cared about the students. I also lived in Boston for another grad program and the city is great. It's very expensive at MGH though, so unless you have a substantial funding offer and you are certain you want to work in Boston after graduation, it is probably not worth it to attend school out of state. The difference in tuition seems too great otherwise. Just one opinion of someone also going through the process :).

Thanks for asking this question! I haven't heard back from CUNY Hunter yet, but will have a similar dilemma (Hunter vs. NYMC and I want to work in a medical setting) if I do get in.

I think CUNY Hunter is a great school and haven't heard any complaints on here or elsewhere from students who went through their program. Do you have any loans from undergrad still? If you do, the in-state tuition might be worth it. I've also heard from someone in the field now (who went to Vanderbilt) that it's difficult to get a CFY in a state other than the one you got your masters in. So to piggyback off of what the poster above said, if you want to return to New York after graduation as opposed to staying in Boston, that's another reason Hunter might be better.

MGH has excellent medical placements, but I would check with CUNY on how many medical contracts they hold for externships. Many people assume MGH is medically-focused, and although they have medical opportunities available and you work with other medical professionals in the same building, they have a big literacy focus. If MGH is THAT much more I would do CUNY! 

If you have to go into a ton of debt to go to MGH, I would probably just go to Hunter. If money is not a huge issue, then you really need to look at the fit of the program.

Hunter does have placements in medical settings so I wouldn't worry about that aspect. At my interview, one girl worked at acute care and the other one in another medical setting that is not a hospital. I also remember them saying that people do get into the VA for externship sometimes although it is very competitive.

On 3/28/2017 at 9:52 AM, slp665 said:

Choosing between these two great programs, want to work in a medical setting, but would get in state tuition to CUNY Hunter, anyone have insight as to which program I should pick??? 

Do you think the clinical placements in a medical setting opportunities at MGH outweigh the money I would save by attending Hunter if I ultimately want to work in a hospital?

I think it's also important to remember that no placements are guaranteed, so don't go to one program only because you expect a placement at a particular institution.  You should go for the whole educational package.

• 11 months later...
On 3/31/2017 at 12:26 PM, Parler75 said:

I think it's also important to remember that no placements are guaranteed, so don't go to one program only because you expect a placement at a particular institution.  You should go for the whole educational package.

I agree with Parler75.  A couple of my friends went to MGH and almost everyone goes there hoping for a medical placement, but in reality there aren't that many because MGH competes with Boston University for medical placements.  They ask you to make a list of most wanted to least wanted placement settings, but don't always honor it.