Data from the 2016-2017 Anthro Application Season

AWWW

Hello everyone,

As a form of procrastination I kept track of the anthro program results this year in an excel file. Here are some interesting things I found:

- # of anthro submitted decisions = 490
- # of acceptances = 196 (40%)
- # of rejections = 294 (60%)
- # of programs represented = 109
- Top 10 most applied to programs (# of decisions in parentheses): 1. Michigan (24), 2. Brown (19), 2. Harvard (19), 4. UC Berkeley (18), 5. Toronto (17), 6. NYU (16), 6. Stanford (16), 8. Oxford (14), 9. Princeton (13), 9. UCLA (13)
- Top 10 most selective programs (% admitted, at least 5 submitted decisions): 1. Chicago (0%), 2. Brown (5%), 3. Stanford (6%), 4. Cornell (9%), 5. UC Santa Barbara (11%),  6. NYU (12%), 7. Princeton (15%), 8. Emory (17%), 8. SUNY Stony Brook (17%), 8. Notre Dame (17%)
- Top 10 most selective programs (% admitted, at least 10 submitted decisions): 1. Chicago (0%), 2. Brown (5%), 3. Stanford (6%), 4. Cornell (9%), 5. NYU (12%), 6. Princeton (15%), 7. Michigan (20%), 8. Harvard (21%), 9. Columbia (25%), 10. UC Berkeley (27%)
- February is when the action happens. The vast majority of decisions are made in this month, with many fewer in January and March: 

Inline image 1

-I attached the excel file if anyone else wants to play around with the numbers

-As a word of caution, I have no background in statistics and have no idea how the Grad Cafe data relate to the true amount of applications each school received. This is meant to just be a rough idea as to how the application season went and should not be taken seriously. I hope it might help people who apply next year have an idea as to which schools are popular and when schools release their results.

grad school national results.xlsx