Apply next year with a better GRE or accept the funded PhD?

I am an international student from the subcontinent with almost four years of job experience in academia and a few publications in internationally recognized biostatistics and public health journals. I couldn't prepare for GRE adequately by January of this year and scored around mid 310s. I applied to several US universities for PhD in Biostatistics with that score. Later, I reappeared for the GRE and scored 328 (Q: 168, V: 160). I reappeared for GRE immediately because I thought none would take me this year and that I didn't want to wait and let the vocabularies fade away from my memory. But I couldn't submit this score anywhere as the deadlines of most good schools were already over. Recently, I have got a fully funded offer of admission from UPitt Biostatistics. I am really surprised at that. But at the same time, now I have a feeling like I should decline the offer and wait for the next cycle. Because with my latest GRE score I may find higher ranked schools. 

But I am extremely confused if that will really help or just be a gamble. Because from this year's experience, I think it is difficult to get admission in a PhD program as an international student. So is it worth taking the risk? The other thing I can do is accepting the offer and then try to switch next year. But that seems `unethical' to me to some extent because accepting a program means giving them a commitment. Moreover, the other schools where I wish to apply may take it negatively if I want to switch from another US institution. Your thoughts on this can help shape my decision. Really looking forward to hearing from you!   

May help folks who want to give you advice if you post your original GRE scores.  If your first score was Q: 150 and V: 160 that's very different than a score of Q: 165 and V: 145, both of which are "310".

In general I'm inclined to think that improving your GRE by 10-15 points is unlikely to change your results dramatically.

Edited by Innominate

2 hours ago, Innominate said:

May help folks who want to give you advice if you post your original GRE scores.  If your first score was Q: 150 and V: 160 that's very different than a score of Q: 165 and V: 145, both of which are "310".

In general I'm inclined to think that improving your GRE by 10-15 points is unlikely to change your results dramatically.

It may depend on the school, but they may be taking the 'best of' for each score when there are multiple exams.

In this case, you would end up with a Q:165 and a V:160 for a total of 325. Also each program may weight scores differently - the Q score may be more important in math and the sciences, while the V score may be more important in the humanities.

I would accept the funded offer that you have in your hand right now. It's impossible to know what the applicant pool/funding /other variables will be like in the next cycle. Right now, you have a definite offer at a pretty decent program. No idea what might happen next year, especially since GRE score does not make or break an application. 

22 hours ago, Innominate said:

Thank you for your reply. My initial score was Q: 161 and V: 152. I'd really appreciate your suggestion. I'd also like to know your thought about trying to switch program if waiting seems foolish. 

11 hours ago, bookworm45 said:

I would accept the funded offer that you have in your hand right now. It's impossible to know what the applicant pool/funding /other variables will be like in the next cycle. Right now, you have a definite offer at a pretty decent program. No idea what might happen next year, especially since GRE score does not make or break an application. 

Thank you for your reply. Is it a good idea to switch program, or is it even common? I'm worried that I don't really want to make people unhappy with me for breaking any commitment. I'd also like to note I didn't get any other offer except from another MS program (lower ranked than Pitt). 

12 hours ago, Blain Waan said:

Thank you for your reply. Is it a good idea to switch program, or is it even common? I'm worried that I don't really want to make people unhappy with me for breaking any commitment. I'd also like to note I didn't get any other offer except from another MS program (lower ranked than Pitt). 

From the experience of a friend, it seems very difficult to switch programs. Seems like ad coms have higher expectations when you have already completed some time at another institution. If you choose to attend Pitt, I would suggest that you do not plan on transferring.

1 hour ago, bookworm45 said:

From the experience of a friend, it seems very difficult to switch programs. Seems like ad coms have higher expectations when you have already completed some time at another institution. If you choose to attend Pitt, I would suggest that you do not plan on transferring.

I second this and would add it may be difficult for you to get recommendations from Pitt if you plan on leaving just to join a different program.