MPP in the US as an international applicant

ayra

Hello folks,

I am currently exploring MPP/MPA courses in the USA with an intention to apply for Fall'2018. I am specifically looking at courses which combine Public Policy with Science/ Analytics/ Data Science like UChicago's MS in Computational Analysis and Public Policy (MSCAPP) , CMU's MSPPM- Data Analytics Track. I have a bachelor's in computer science and engineering from India and 2 years of work experience as a big data engineer at a reputed MNC. In addition I have considerable amount of part-time public service experience and I am working on a project that applies big data in the development policy space. 

Considering my profile, what are my chances of getting admitted into such courses at the top schools. More importantly, since I am an international applicant, what will be my the job prospects post such a graduate education? What are the job prospects of a policy student specializing in data analytics?

Is the data analytics segment of such courses strong and rigorous enough to land me a job in the private sector in case the policy space does not have the desired openings?

Also if  you know of any good programs along these line, please do recommend

Any help will be greatly appreciated

• 3 weeks later...

You've mentioned very few specifics about your profile for me to make any guesses on your chances in specific programs. What I suggest you do is look at the 'Am I Competitive" thread under government affairs, it will give you a fair idea about the factors that go into consideration while evaluating your profile. Knowing (and having applied to and gotten accepted at) CMU's MSPPM and being a computer science engineer who made a shift into the MPP space, I think you could stand a chance at the MSPPM program. Again without knowing your undergrad GPA, GRE scores and the details of the kind of SOP you'll be writing and the LORs you'll be getting, it's hard to say. 

For job prospects, please do the required research. You're not going to get an answer for 'what are the job prospects' kind of questions. Go to the school's website, and make a thorough study of the career reports published, see which firms have hired in the past, what job roles, how many international students got jobs that you're hoping to do, take a look at what the current students or Alumni are doing, find a few current students and maybe request to get in touch with them through facebook, go through the posts on government affairs threads and DM folks who got admits to and eventually attended the programs you're eyeing. 

Yous till have a lot of time before the deadlines roll in. Make good use of the time. Doing the research on which schools to apply to is an investment. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2017 at 1:58 AM, lookwhathappened said:

You've mentioned very few specifics about your profile for me to make any guesses on your chances in specific programs. What I suggest you do is look at the 'Am I Competitive" thread under government affairs, it will give you a fair idea about the factors that go into consideration while evaluating your profile. Knowing (and having applied to and gotten accepted at) CMU's MSPPM and being a computer science engineer who made a shift into the MPP space, I think you could stand a chance at the MSPPM program. Again without knowing your undergrad GPA, GRE scores and the details of the kind of SOP you'll be writing and the LORs you'll be getting, it's hard to say. 

For job prospects, please do the required research. You're not going to get an answer for 'what are the job prospects' kind of questions. Go to the school's website, and make a thorough study of the career reports published, see which firms have hired in the past, what job roles, how many international students got jobs that you're hoping to do, take a look at what the current students or Alumni are doing, find a few current students and maybe request to get in touch with them through facebook, go through the posts on government affairs threads and DM folks who got admits to and eventually attended the programs you're eyeing. 

Yous till have a lot of time before the deadlines roll in. Make good use of the time. Doing the research on which schools to apply to is an investment. Good luck!

Thanks @lookwhathappened for your reply. Further details of my profile are:
GPA : 9.05/10
GRE: V156, Q166
TOEFL: Yet to take
Undergrad: Decent Indian University (Computer. Sc. & Engineering)
Volunteer experience: 2 years of experience teaching children living in shelter homes, involved in Corporate Social Responsibility programs
Work Experience: 2 years in the big data domain in India for a Bay Area based company with a promotion. 1 year fellowship in the social sector starting Sep, 2017 involving policy research and data analytics
LOR: decent (1 academic + 1 from work )

I would think that a well written SOP with a clear narrative as to why you are looking at grad school NOW and what you hope to do after graduation should be able to get you a CMU admit.  Invest a couple of months into drafting it and get it proofread by people who know you well. CMU has a great course albeit very pricey. Looking at your profile do not expect more than a 30% scholarship if you are accepted. 

I think your chances are good. Do not miss out on applying to a couple of out of reach colleges, you might be surprised with an admit. 

Edited by lookwhathappened