Welcome to the GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Adelaide9216

PhD vs. Master's program : not having the same research topic

3 posts in this topic

Hello! What are the pros and/or cons to choosing a different topic for a PhD program than your master's research topic? (that includes having different supervisors for the PhD versus the master's)? 

In brief:

Pros: getting to explore a new area of interest, gaining experience working with multiple PIs (you'll need 3-5 rec letter writers for academic job applications typically), possibility of engaging in more interdisciplinary work.

Cons: new literature to familiarize yourself with, changing supervisors may not go smoothly, overall time to degree could be longer.

I would summarize it the same way as @rising_star did. I changed supervisors, (sub)fields/topics**, departments and schools between my MSc in Canada and my PhD in the US. Very happy to have done so---I don't regret it at all! The only con that was really a con is the longer time---changing from the Canadian system to the US system meant I was in grad school for 7 years in total, but this isn't really that bad. Most people in my field took 5 or 6 years, so an extra year or two in exchange for the amazing experience I got at my new PhD program was completely worth it, to me. 

(** This is all relative of course, to an academic in astronomy/planetary science, yes, I definitely changed topics and also methodology, but to someone outside of my field, I went from studying one aspect of one type of planet to another aspect of a different type of planet.)