I am a new graduate student in a Counseling Research Master's program, as preparation for a Ph.D program in Counseling Psychology. I originally applied to the Coun Psyc program at the school, and was accepted into the Master's program. 

I am planning ahead for doctoral applications, and wanted to know how likely it is to be accepted into a doctoral program at the same school? Is it viewed favorably as a current student, or not necessarily?

Hey! Congrats on getting into a program (I remember you from this app cycle).

So my non-answer answer is: it depends on the program. Some programs want their students to build their networks by applying outwardly to other programs and it makes sense. You get to meet a new circle of PI's, new students, potentially plant new roots in an area you could practice in the future. Other programs don't mind if you continue working at that institution. This rule may be more applicable for the UG --> Grad transition than to the masters --> phd transition.

Best thing to do is to just ask someone like your supervisor or the internship coordinator at your program whether or not it would be seen favorably. That way you won't have to guess and/or waste an app fee.

Hi! I also remember you from this past cycle :) I think that Counseling programs are a little more flexible when it comes to taking a current masters student to their doc program upon completion of the MA degree. I received a MA offer from a counseling program whose PhD program I had applied to and strongly considered accepting it. I made sure to ask the likelihood that I would get into their PhD after the MA and they told me that many MA's in their program do transfer smoothly to their PhD if they keep a good reputation within the program. BUT it is always a gamble since you have to reapply and that year may be extremely competitive. I would make sure to ask how your chances would be and always keep a eye out for other programs you could see yourself at. Good luck!