-
Posts
339 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
1
Everything posted by the_sheath
-
Function call
-
Polygonal face
-
Ring theory
-
Field theory
-
Equivalence class
-
Time derivative
-
Wait time (new page)
-
base change
-
Base twelve
-
Anyone heard back from Brown Applied Math?
the_sheath replied to whereicango's topic in Mathematics and Statistics
Heads up, rejected today. Good luck to everyone still hanging on! -
Graph coloring
-
Road coloring (sorry jenzy, dropped the ball on that one)
-
Well, barring cloning yourself, I don't think there are any ways around this. Anyone who does admit you must know that you, as a candidate who was viable for their program, may also be viable for other programs. I'm sure that they also understand that you, as a human being with your own agency, are able to make decisions and choices and consider a variety of factors independent of how well they treat you. If you absolutely 100% know you would say "no" to them specifically, however, and you're wasting their money and time, you should definitely feel bad about that. They have enough trouble funding us as it is.
-
Cardinal arithmetic
-
Cardinal number
-
how to handle rejection letter and have chances to be admitted.
the_sheath replied to h_bestluck's topic in Waiting it Out
I can tell you that my SOP and my entire process was fumbled and poorly planned. My GPA is a 3.822, my GRE is ~90th+ percentile across the board, with subject at ~75th percentile. But when I heard that the biggest factors were research, letters, and SOP, I was sure I was screwed. I have a summer of research. 8 weeks. Maybe 8 weeks and 6 days if you count the MCM. I have no papers that are submitted, let alone published papers. None of my SOPs were really tailored to the place where I was applying. My lack of specific research interests makes me look like a generic candidate. None of my letter writers are big names. And I'm pretty sure I pissed off one of my letter writers in the process of applying before she submitted anything, so what she submitted may have ended up altered. But. I got in somewhere (incidentally, since the application was due there first, that is where my application looked the worst). And I'm still waiting to hear from other places. I will tell you though that there is absolutely no one that gets in without the requirements and qualifications. I mean, come on, many of us are basically asking these places to pay us to go to school. And almost all of us are asking for the opportunity to work closely with some of the greatest minds in our respective fields. They've gotta be selective. That said, from what you've shown here, it doesn't sound like you're out of the running (of course, it all depends on how well you fit in the places you applied, where you applied, and how good your entire profile looks, etc). The application season ain't over 'til that last letter rolls in. -
Solution attempt
-
Right around 30k...hmmm. Well it could be worse?
-
Schools contacting you for missing information..? Good or bad?
the_sheath replied to skgarcia's topic in Applications
When I applied to UCSB, they sent an email a few days later telling me that I had a bunch of stuff missing (course list, letters of recommendation, gre scores; the latter two were kinda out of my control). A month after everything was received, I was accepted into the program. So I'd say pragmatic or no, you've still got a shot -
Anyone heard back from Brown Applied Math?
the_sheath replied to whereicango's topic in Mathematics and Statistics
Nothing on my end yet, but I think first wave was already sent out -
fast fourier (VIVA LA MATH)
-
Diffusion equation
-
Differential equation
-
Line integral
-
Cross your fingers for waitlisting? Looks like rejections get sent out a week after, but survive that and I think we have a shot?
