Congrats @haltheincandescent! I didn't get an email Going to hold off until 5 before I lose hope. Do you know if they interview all potential applicants?
Not sure about Columbia (I didnt apply). UChicago - yes as they have reached out for interviews. As far as I know Duke (lit) has not yet scheduled interviews. Best of luck, I'm sure something will come through! Its frustrating that we'll likely have to wait until mid-Feb for programs that don't interview.
Didn't anyone else just get that weird interview request email from UChicago? Wasn't personalized and indicated that interviews were not guaranteed! Weird! Not sure what to make of it...
I agree generally with what has been said here but would also note the importance of leveraging external funding when applying to potential programs. I have found programs willing to move and adjust 'external funding' policies if they have the chance of recruiting you.
Will be applying to three lit/english programs this fall at: - UChicago - UPenn - Brown - Stanford (MTL) as well as a few interdisciplinary programs at Rutgers, NYU, Duke, and Emory. A bit nervous about the GRE... still haven't started studying XD
The graduate program in Social and Political Thought at York University in Toronto would be a great fit. They offer both an MA and PhD. Also, York has a reputation for having the most Marxist scholars in the country. http://www.yorku.ca/gradspth/index.html
Hey I got a SSHRC from UofT as well. Just to clarify a few points about the minimum funding package at UofT... you are right the university likes it when students get SSHRC becuase it gives them an opportunity to save $$. At the same time, it is compeletely within your right to negociate an offer - I did to make sure that I got above and beyond the minimum funding package. Almost every department offers a "top-up" for SSHRC holders between $2-3k.
Hey! I got accepted as well (I was one of the posts on the results page)... but unfortunately am not attending. Staying at U of T for my MA then heading south for a PhD, most likely. I'm not super familiar with the program but may have some insights into Canadian gender studies programs and faculty. Feel free to PM me.