I would use both as a reference, rather than as a source of "trust" in deciding which program to apply. We don't know how these websites are ranking these programs, so we don't know how trustworthy these websites are. I'm actually very curious on how the programs are ranked and judged by whom. Nevertheless, like what everyone said, its more about your fit - quantitative vs. qualitative, specialization, region, career goal, etc.
I feel like the worst part of this waiting process is knowing you're rejected (based on the fact other ppl have received interviews and acceptances), but still holding hope until the rejection letter comes, which is not until late feb/march. I know I'm trying to stay positive even though I know i'm unofficially rejected from 3-4 programs. Its seriously the hardest thing ever.
I mean, less students (in general) are being accepted this year, so that could be why. Also not everyone will upload their results on this website, and we don't know if people all over the world are aware that this website even exists. It could be that more US students are actively using this website than international students. I also don't know if departments will disclose such information, since it could be controversial..?
I am also checking for updates constantly! I am anxious, nervous, and even scared.
I remind myself that this cycle is an unusual one, thus if I don't get accepted, it is not my fault. But then, part of me also thinks that if I was "good enough," I would still be accepted no matter how crazy competitive it is - thereby, it is still my fault.
Long story short, I am not managing my anxiety well haha
Random question, but do y'all believe that next cycle will be more competitive, assuming that we will recover from COVID? More programs will accept more students, but more students will apply...? I tend to overthink, so I'm already trying to make a plan B.
I'm feeling pretty hopeless with UCLA (my gre score is bad) and UCI (the faculties I mentioned in my SOP left the dept), but i'm still checking the results page religiously lol
I still have 10 other programs to hear from, and my anxiety is skyrocketing...
I know acceptance has a lot to do with the "fit" but my GRE score is TERRIBLE so seeing UCLA acceptance is making me nervous.
Based on the results from previous years, UCLA sends out their acceptance letter around this time of the year, so the result may be true.