Senochka
Members-
Posts
66 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
1
Everything posted by Senochka
-
Yeah this must have been what misled me. In many application systems payment is the last step. A representative told me that I should have pressed that button and wait until I "see" a sign that said "100% Complete". I was like, "Lady, are you hearing me?" No problem though, if we had something like yearbook superlatives over here, I would be voted either unluckiest or sloppiest, so I am used to such things by now.
-
Told it here before when GWU was releasing decisions, I am blind so amidst the craze of the submission period, I somehow missed a "Finish and Submit" button somewhere, I paid the fee and completed the forms but my application was never reviewed. I learned this the day decisions were released BC I never checked the portal. Now I want my money back and they completely ghosted me, so weird. GWU caused enough harm to me, so please be careful with your yogurt.
-
Ahahaha impossible.
-
Rejected by UChicago yesterday, heard absolutely nothing besides that. I expected this though.
-
Just got my rejection from UChicago, no surprises, TBH, no e-mail, checked the portal on a whim. It says my application is referred to CIR, but I am already about to complete my master's and see no value in doing two master's in the same field. This was my first - normal - decision, eight more to go.
-
Should I assume rejection from UChicago by now? Seems like they send acceptances in bulk first, and then send rejections around March.
-
Guessed so, it's why I said take it with a grain of salt, but the data about previous years seems in line with such an expectation.
-
I talked to the DGS yesterday regarding the late arrival. of my scores, he said they did not consider GRE this year anyways, and he will have more information regarding the admission process in "the coming weeks". It might mean that only one or two offers are sent and the majority of applications are still under review or it might mean that they have sent out acceptances and will send rejections later. I think the former is more likely, seeing only one offer from UIUC on this forum would be weird considering previous data, this is, of course, given that other people besides you and me also applied there. Still, I believe they have not sent all acceptances yet.
-
I have some idea about the student profile each school on my list wants, to some I applied because I fit the profile and to others because I hoped they make concessions. My reach and high reach schools are in the latter category. However, with Georgetown, although I have previous experience with the school, I am at a loss. I really don't know what they want and I also regret applying there. I'm not sure what would I replace it with though, Cornell maybe. I'm not a fan of West Coast schools however high-ranked they may be, and I've heard UM and UVA are not so friendly towards int'l students.
-
This is for anyone waiting on UChicago, do you have any idea about when the results might be released and what's their pattern: all at once, rejections or acceptances first, subfield by subfield? On a different note, I saw a question about Georgetown interviews posted recently, but cannot find it now, I think like Notre Dame, Georgetown interviews shortlisted applicants - I was not interviewed during a previous cycle, and got waitlisted, this was for McCourt though - and those of us who did not get an interview invitation can expect rejections or waitlists moving forward. However, rummaging through previous years' data, I also realized that they sometimes send out one or two more acceptances towards the end of the cycle. I assume it's to fill places left open from admits committing to somewhere else, and those late admits will come from the waitlist pool. Something like that. This assumption is based on previous cycles' data and my experience though, someone else might have expectations differing radically from mine. So, you can take it with a grain of salt.
-
Experienced this with Northeastern last night. The title said "Graduate Admissions", and I put a lot of effort into stopping my hands from trembling to click. When I finally opened the email, it was some promotional shit about some summer program. Felt scammed. OMG, I admire your perseverance so much. I was physically, mentally, and financially drained only after a dozen.
-
Although I like The grad Cafe's tongue-in-cheek member rankings based on caffeine level, not having had a full night's sleep since the beginning of the decision cycle makes me think that a ranking based on sleep deprivation levels would be more fitting, something like beauty sleeper < nevernapper < eight mate < sixthejinx < zombie. Have a long night ahead and just mumbling, something should come from UIUC today, that's according to them, not me.
-
This is going to sound stupid, but what's the ordinary time interval (US) during which decisions are rolled? Is it 5 pm sharp for most of you, or do they arrive anytime during the afternoon hours? I mean, I really don't want to check my e-mail every hour or so after it's 9 am in the States, so any input is extremely valuable for me. Trying to confine my compulsions to a narrower time window...
-
At least ten schools rolled decisions out so far, and I still have nothing. I am not furious per se, but got bored and annoyed especially after the adrenaline and anticipation of the first few days subsided.
-
I'm from Turkey and suffered much due to exchange rates during the process. True that some of those in the top 50 have endowments surpassing the GDPs of the poorer half of the world's countries, and that money is partly made by selling dreams to us, so... In all seriousness, though, I believe if a person had shed sweat and tears and completed years of training before coming to a school's door for a PhD, the school should at least give the student a chance at FairPlay by lifting stupid obstacles such as fees on the way. I received waivers for about half of my apps, some of these are from schools with the biggest endowments and names where I don't stand a chance. So only two of the waivers had actually done a meaningful job. Some schools are asking for GRE fee waivers as a prerequisite, and I'm like "Where in the world an enterprise offers special services to you that involve preparing special material, shipping them across the world, and charge nothing for it?" Seriously, what are the chances of a disabled International student receiving test fee waivers? The whole system is engineered to make the students, domestic and int'l alike, feel like hurdle race horses.
-
Well, I've been told that I should've clicked twice more till I can see a completion notice. The problem is, I'm blind and I don't remember any feedback instructing me to go forward on the page, but it was a hectic day, I submitted buncha apps back to back, and somehow missed it. I've been advised to be "more patient with the system" ahahaha, "Great feedback, thanks, I now see the wrong in my ways..." One upside though, after this I was like I've been shot with a tranquilizer, seriously, I became effing zen about the whole process. BC if you can work for sth for months and one small mistake can lead you here, seriously all it would take was two more clicks, you can have no control whatsoever about the bigger, more important aspects of this, what you can control is the process before you hit "submit" So if I'm not in charge no need for me to become supercharged about anything. Yeah, you came here for possible updates on your applications, little did you know that you would get a rant pseudo-philosophizing about those from a random stranger. I couldn't submit two applications bc I didn't have enough funds to complete them by the deadline, so it's almost the standard for me now.
-
No, but worse. Somehow, although I completed the application and paid the fee, my application is not processed, office said I had to take some further action, but did not specify what in an email. They offered me a refund, off to such a great start, perfect closure ahahahaha I cannot believe myself, or them. I have received decisions only on business days in previous undergrad and grad cycles, but dunno.
-
Is that George Washington? Applied there, CP/political behavior as well, heard nothing. Taking it as a sign of my impending rejection.
-
Hello everyone, ı have a question. I have received multiple e-mails (the same text block in each, so nothing personal) from two schools I applied to inviting me to live group or one-on-one chat with the graduate admissions should I have any questions regarding the process. I have no burning questions to ask besides when the results will be out, and I think this is sort of a marketing exercise, however, I was wondering whether showing up to those to make your face known makes any difference, I think no, but would like to hear from anyone who took their chances with these and can say it benefited them somehow, many thanks.
-
Impressive, people. From three or four schools that released results so far, only acceptances and waitlists are reported on the forum, it seems like we have incredibly qualified competition this year. Congrats to those who received good news and good luck to the rest of us.
-
I applied to NW, UIUC, and UMN-Twin Cities from your list, heard nothing so far. I assumed it was because I was going to be rejected by all, but now I see it's kinda standard procedure. So we're all fine, for now. ?
-
Wow, all three in the same week? Hope this place fills with celebratory and congratulatory posts in the coming week, then.
-
I've been using a dataset that compiles decision release dates from the previous ten years or so, and it shows that UIUC consistently releases results on the week of the 20th, so it feels like I have to hear sth. back till Friday, or I'm doomed. Also, it's right in the middle with respect to the rankings of the schools to which I applied, so whether I'm in there or not tells a lot about the fate of my remaining apps. Well, I was really curious about this sci-fi novel, Ready Player One, maybe I can bury my nose into it, and forget about all this. Thanks.
-
Any tips on staying productive while waiting for the results? Does anything specific help with leaving the sickening worry outside the door? I'm usually okay till 4 pm, then a numbing and paralyzing anxiety starts to surge, and I cannot write a single word till it's the end of the business day on much of the other hemisphere, meanwhile I have to make decent progress on my thesis before the winter break ends... So, any reasonable suggestion is much appreciated.
-
Yes, this was during the 2021 cycle, I was spooked and ended up not applying. I think your suggestion is right on point. Perhaps many people turned to academia for they had fewer employment opportunities, more time, or simply because they had an epiphany during the pandemic and realized that they couldn't possibly live without a PhD. In any case, it is good to know that the pool will be smaller, thanks.
