Jump to content

moosetiger

Members
  • Posts

    4
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    1

Everything posted by moosetiger

  1. I’m curious how mechanical + electrical engineering PhD students should think about choosing a lab. Specifically, my goal is to maximize long-term scientific impact, but I’m not committed to a single problem. That said, there are several big problems I care about (e.g., energy storage, desalination, etc.) and would like to tackle throughout my career. For this reason, I’m unsure whether it is better to join: A problem-focused lab whose primary focus is to work directly on one of those problems (e.g., an electrochemical battery research or desalination lab). A technology-focused lab (e.g., meta materials, novel membranes) whose technology possibly could be impactful for the problems I am interested in (but chance is low). However, in general, the technology is versatile and could be applied to many problems in the future. A technology-focused lab also working on a versatile technology, but not obviously relevant to the problems I care most about. When choosing a PhD advisor, should students already have a few “big questions” in mind and let those largely drive their decision (i.e., favor a problem-focused lab)? Or are there good reasons to choose labs 2) or 3) as well (and if so, why)? Also, for comparison, how does the answer differ in industry? Is the usual advice for junior engineers to expand their skillset as much as possible early on, or to specialize around a particular problem? Would greatly appreciate any insights.
  2. Hi all, I was extremely fortunate to be admitted to both schools’ PhD programs this program, and given both of their records, I am having a lot of trouble deciding. Does anyone have any things that one *must* keep in mind? Would really appreciate any crucial insights 😭 Harvard: - Lots of random matrix theory and biostats, weak at theoretical ML - Far fewer students, so advisors can put more time - Boston = ok Berkeley: - Strong at theoretical ML, which seems to align with my interests - Hard to get facetime with certain advisors and, in general, navigate research — so many students - Simantousely, I have heard that what makes Berkeley truly unique is its “culture of innovation” — there’s just something about it. Can anyone confirm? This is the main point dissauding me from Harvard…
  3. Hi all, Was curious if anyone's heard back from Harvard, UC Berkeley, Yale and other top statistics programs regarding rejections / interviews... getting a bit anxious, since I heard that a couple years ago, top statistics schools (such as Harvard and UC Berkeley) would start rejecting applicants as soon as mid-December. Just hoping there's still some chance for an interivew!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use