RevolutionNowandForever
Members-
Posts
13 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Everything posted by RevolutionNowandForever
-
I will be starting my MFA at VCU this fall. Here is an article about an art show I am doing in my last semester at UT-Austin finishing my BFA. I hope during the next two years, those of us who have been accepted to grad schools for MFAs can put together some art shows along this theme at the schools we have been accepted to. It would be great to see art shows like this across the nation at different schools. “Contemporary Art Under Fascism” Collects Resistance at UT Student and faculty exhibit showcases politically oriented works April 17-18 “This is a test,” says Cobb. “Do universities tolerate artistic expression? Do they clamp down on political speech? Or is this a safe place for students to come?”
-
Someone did decide not to go, because when they admitted me, they said I was only funded starting the second semester, but they said I was on the waitlist for more funding if someone decided not to accept their offer. A couple weeks later they said that someone did not accept, so now I'm funded for the first semester too. Fingers crossed you get in too!
-
Good luck getting off the VCU waitlist! I was admitted there for painting and I am definitely going, but maybe you will get lucky and get off the waitlist, or maybe you will get in next year.
-
There are likely going to be a lot of people getting off waitlists over the next couple of weeks. I just got off the waitlist for Alfred University, which I would consider accepting if I didn't already have a fully funded offer elsewhere. In the Alfred Painting MFA program you spend two semesters in Germany and two in Alfred, New York. I would love two semesters in Germany.
-
That sounds like a reasonable analysis by the director of one of the #2 ranked schools. I was surprised to read in the US News page on their methodology that only one person from each school receives and fills outs the survey. I assume that is the chair of each Fine Arts Department, unless they designate someone else. Survey recipients – one per school – were asked to rate the academic quality of fine arts programs on a scale of 1 (marginal) to 5 (outstanding). Those unfamiliar with a particular school's programs were asked to select "don't know," which counted neither for nor against a school. Scores for each school were determined by computing a trimmed mean – eliminating the two highest and two lowest ratings from all respondents – and taking the average of the remaining ratings. U.S. News ranked schools receiving 10 or more ratings in descending order; it listed all others as unranked. The survey response rate was 20.3%. U.S. News discontinued its separate rankings of specialties within the fine arts.
-
U.S. News and World Report today revised its Best Fine Arts Grad School rankings for the first time since 2020 and there were some changes. The rankings are based on reputational surveys (Peer Assessment Score) and the differences between a lot of the schools are not very large. Yale is number 1 with a 4.5 score and there is a four way tie for number 2 all with 4.5 scores. From what I remember from the 2025 list (which was actually the same list from 2020 when it was last revised), SAIC dropped from 2 to 6. CalArts from 5 to 7.
-
I am going to VCU, which offered me a full tuition waiver plus a stipend of $12,000 a year. I will only have to TA 12-15 hours a week, not 20 like some schools. Besides the appeal of full funding, they were the school where I felt a real connection with the faculty who interviewed me. In the second year, I will be an Instructor of Record for a class each semester. That should be interesting.
-
I am releasing admission spots at Pratt, WashU and MICA Hoffberger, so good luck to anyone hoping to get in to those programs.
-
Sorry you didn't get accepted. UT Austin accepts an extremely small number of Studio Art MFA students in each discipline, e.g. maybe two printmakers, two painters (sometimes they concentrate in drawing), two in sculpture, two photography each year. They might have a total of about 10 grad students total in Studio Art. I went to undergrad there.
-
I emailed CalArts and they said the decisions are being processed and will be released by the end of March.
-
I interviewed on the last day they did interviews March 6 and heard back today, so four days after. I think some people who interviewed earlier heard back earlier.
-
I got accepted today to Leroy Hoffberger School of Painting at MICA with some funding, but I need to try to negotiate a better financial offer. So far, I have been accepted to VCU with a tuition waiver and a stipend, as well as WashU and Pratt. Still waiting to hear from CalArts, and Alfred where I applied because they spend two semesters in Germany, which I would love. The only one with enough funding is VCU, but MICA is really good for painting, so that is possible. I'll probably go to VCU.
-
I got an acceptance email today from VCU in painting. I have also been accepted at Sam Fox at WashU. Still waiting to hear back after interviews from CalArts, MICA, Pratt, Alfred.
