Hi everyone!

Anyone else apply to Smith's MSW program? Apparently those of us who applied Early Decision will hear back sometime in early to mid- February, but the wait so far has been nearly unbearable for me. I'm coming here because I think my friends and family are sick of hearing me talk about it. :-P I don't really have a specific question, but I'd love to talk with other people who have applied or have thought about applying to Smith! What drew you to the program? If you considered Smith but ultimately decided not to apply, what kept you from doing so? Where else are you applying? Is there anyone out there who attends Smith or applied in previous years? Please share your stats!

Hi there,

I also applied to early admission. I would be interested to know what other people’s prior experiences (straight out of undergrad, worked for a while, etc) I’m not sure what makes for a competitive application for smith msw, and I’m sitting her chewing on my nails waiting for decisions! 

15 hours ago, Samag said:

Hi there,

I also applied to early admission. I would be interested to know what other people’s prior experiences (straight out of undergrad, worked for a while, etc) I’m not sure what makes for a competitive application for smith msw, and I’m sitting her chewing on my nails waiting for decisions! 

Yes, Samag, I’m in the same boat. I’ll be coming straight from undergrad with a high GPA and extensive social work-related volunteer experience, but I know they give preference to candidates with at least a year of “general work experience,” according to their website.

Those who have been accepted in previous years: what was your academic/employment situation? If you ended up attending, how common was it to encounter students straight out of undergrad?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2018 at 11:10 AM, soontobesocialworker said:

Yes, Samag, I’m in the same boat. I’ll be coming straight from undergrad with a high GPA and extensive social work-related volunteer experience, but I know they give preference to candidates with at least a year of “general work experience,” according to their website.

Those who have been accepted in previous years: what was your academic/employment situation? If you ended up attending, how common was it to encounter students straight out of undergrad?

I’m exact opposite from you. My GPA was pretty mediocre, but I’ve been out of undergrad for 6 years now, working full time. My biggest concern is my gpa. I too, would like to hear from people who have been accepted, rejected, etc. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I haven’t received anything via postal mail yet, but I got an email from Smith’s financial aid office this afternoon that said:

Smith College School for Social Work is pleased to assist in financing your education.
Your official financial aid award is now available to view online through BannerWeb.

To review your award, follow the BannerWeb menu to:
  * Student and Financial Aid Information
  * Student Financial Services Menu
  * Student Award Information

A form to accept/decline an offered Federal Unsubsidized Loan will be
available to complete as of March 20th.”

I logged on and it said I’m eligible for a $10,250 loan per year. Does this mean I’ve been accepted, or am I celebrating too early?

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/2/2018 at 4:56 PM, soontobesocialworker said:

I did, and I was accepted! I will be attending. I applied Early Decision, though, so I heard back in early February.

Woah! That's amazing, congrats!! How are you feeling about it? 

I just had my interview today, so I'm curious to see how it will turn out! 

On 3/6/2018 at 1:31 PM, dkmsw510 said:

Woah! That's amazing, congrats!! How are you feeling about it? 

I just had my interview today, so I'm curious to see how it will turn out! 

I’m super excited! I’ve been wanting to go to Smith for a few years now, so the fact that it’s now in the near future is pretty unbelievable. 

Hope your interview went well! Let us know what you find out.