Accepted for my first interview

Coyosso

Hey Everyone,

I got accepted for my first interview on February 9th for a clinical psychology PhD program. I've never done in interview for a graduate program, and am unsure how to prepare between now and then to maximize my chance at a succesful interview. I've recieved some suggestions about doing mock-interviews with friends or colleages, as well as writing out all possible questions and responses to those questions as a way to rehearse. I also realize that I should be researching both what my Principle Investigator of interest has been researching (e.g, read her past publications) , as well as what her graduate students are now researching. Do you think mock-interviews and pre-writing responses to potential questions is effective? Is there anything glaring that I'm missing and should be doing?  I want to prepare for this interview as much as possible and really nail it. Thank you very much, in advance, for your help!

Regards,

Curtis

Edited by Coyosso

I had an interview today. Although my field is political science, not psychology, I have some advice that might be helpful. First, don't overthink the interview. It will be much easier than you think. Second, I wrote out responses to questions ahead of time. While this helped me with some questions, you will inevitably be asked questions you didn't prepare for. 

Thank you for your response, Deutsch. May I ask, what of questions were you anticipating that you wrote out ahead of time? May I also ask, what if any research did you do for the program you were applying to?