Appropriate Interview Attire

pnc95

Hi,

I have recently been invited to an interview for a PhD program at Dartmouth and they sent an email that informed us on what would be the proper attire. According to their email "The event is casual so comfortable clothing is preferred.  This is New England so bring appropriate outerwear for walking outside (gloves, hat, coat, boots for dealing with snow).  I want to stress that you not wear business suits or dress shoes.  Please bring warm outdoor boots, coats, gloves/mittens to keep you warm during walks around campus." I was originally planing on wearing black dress pants, a dress top/blouse, black flats, and a black blazer, but know i'm not sure what to wear. I was hoping someone could give me advice because I don't want to dress too fancy or too relaxed. 

Thanks

It sounds like they're stressing the casual and weather appropriate attire over business casual.  You could probably wear some nice jeans (no rips or tears), boots (I like leather ankle boots, but you'll need to keep in mind the salt), and a collared shirt under a sweater if you still want to look a bit put together. Definitely wear a warm coat and scarf, New England can feel especially cold on a windy day! If you're really worried, ask them! 

I second the collared shirt under a sweater.  If you go with nice jeans, I would go with something that's a dark wash and looks nicer IMO.  Boots are a good idea and I would go for something low heel and has good traction underneath.  The paths should be clear of ice, but slush can also be slippery.  Coat, scarf, hat/ear muffs/headband, mittens are a must if you're going to be outside!

Edited by StemCellFan

• 2 weeks later...