How to turn down visitation offer?

ketchup

A big name professor keeps e-mailing me encouraging me to visit their university and skype them. Initially I was polite, and expressed moderate interest in visiting although cited for financial reasons it may not be possible. However, I don't really see why I would accept their offer.

My current schedule does not have time to visit the school, but I really do not want to annoy this professor. How can I politely decline their requests to call/visit? Should I accept to skype and then not visit or would that be more rude?

Thanks for your help.

I've got to ask... Why would you apply if you wouldn't want to go there?

Or is this totally unsolicited (you didn't apply), in which case.... I've never heard of grad students being headhunted like that, which is weird. 

8 minutes ago, Eigen said:

Or is this totally unsolicited (you didn't apply), in which case.... I've never heard of grad students being headhunted like that, which is weird. 

I would have been interested if I had not been accepted into other schools but I've just received three better offers which I cannot see myself turning down over the university in question. 

Edited by ketchup

Then don't string the school along and decline. 

All you're doing right now is keeping the school (and other applicants) in limbo. If you want to withdraw your application and would never consider an offer by the school, do so as soon as you make that decision.

5 minutes ago, Eigen said:

Then don't string the school along and decline. 

All you're doing right now is keeping the school (and other applicants) in limbo. If you want to withdraw your application and would never consider an offer by the school, do so as soon as you make that decision.

OK, thank you!

1 hour ago, Eigen said:

Definitely happened before but rare. I've heard of cases where pharma companies have tried to buy a grad student out from grad school but it's definitely super rare.

4 hours ago, someth1ngAus said:

Definitely happened before but rare. I've heard of cases where pharma companies have tried to buy a grad student out from grad school but it's definitely super rare.

That's a company headhunting a grad student, which happens. Not a faculty member headhunting an undergrad to become a grad student.