Admissions Chances for an Army Vet/Aspiring Chaplain

ChristoWitch87

Hello all!

So the main reason I am posting this is because given my denominational background (UU-Pagan) and the interfaith nature of my ministerial goals (military chaplaincy) there are very few places that provide a good fit for an M.Div program (my top priority was finding a place that was interreligious with a decent UU representation). I've applied to HDS and Union so far and was wondering how you thought my profile would be received at those places. I earned an MAR in Theology from YDS before joining the military where I have been enlisted-side Special Operations for about 5 years.

UGPA: 3.74 (Philosophy and Math)

GRAD: MAR from YDS (GPA Uncalculated), Non-Degree graduate coursework in Psychology from a local state school while serving (4.0)

GRE (for HDS): 166v/162q/4.5w

Work Exp: One year teaching high school religion and history, 6 years enlisted military as a paratrooper and later on in special operations.

Career Aspirations: There is a serious need for liberal-Christian and earth centered faith representation in the Chaplaincy and I want to be a part of that.

Languages: Persian (Farsi and Dari dialects)-Intermediate, 1 year of Greek back at YDS

If any of you know a place where I could be a good fit (2 schools doesn't feel like enough) that would also be appreciated!

Was returning to YDS not an option?

There are of course UU seminaries but you know that.

But yea, when it comes to schools with a healthy UU presence and/or being very welcoming to that point of view - HDS and Union are about it.

Duke is “liberal” but not in the ways you need and not as liberal as people think. Vandy has a progressive student body on social justice issues but it’s firmly rooted in a Christ-centric ethos.

EDIT: If you’re not as concerned about funding, maybe GTU or Claremont.

Edited by xypathos

Claremont, YDS, and HDS have already been mentioned. Some other ones I've read/encountered:

Hartford Seminary

Auburn Theological Seminary

I guess one question I would ask is whether or not you're concerned about ATS accreditation. Last I read about interfaith seminaries, that was one of the difficulties for upcoming interfaith seminaries: inability to gain accreditation prevents them from confering degrees that would be recognized by other theological/seminary programs.

Edited by MarthUser

12 hours ago, xypathos said:

Was returning to YDS not an option?

There are of course UU seminaries but you know that.

But yea, when it comes to schools with a healthy UU presence and/or being very welcoming to that point of view - HDS and Union are about it.

Duke is “liberal” but not in the ways you need and not as liberal as people think. Vandy has a progressive student body on social justice issues but it’s firmly rooted in a Christ-centric ethos.

EDIT: If you’re not as concerned about funding, maybe GTU or Claremont.

Thanks for your reply!

YDS was an option, I did well there and had a good YDS-based LOR. I got about halfway through the application though and realized it wasn't the best fit for me anymore. Like Duke, its a different sort of liberal (still very much a Mainline/Christian as opposed to interreligious sort of place). Also unless things have changed, very few UUs there!

I will look at GTU and Claremont, going to PM you a question as well, many thanks!

11 hours ago, MarthUser said:

Claremont, YDS, and HDS have already been mentioned. Some other ones I've read/encountered:

Hartford Seminary

Auburn Theological Seminary

I guess one question I would ask is whether or not you're concerned about ATS accreditation. Last I read about interfaith seminaries, that was one of the difficulties for upcoming interfaith seminaries: inability to gain accreditation prevents them from confering degrees that would be recognized by other theological/seminary programs.

I like what Hartford is doing, but they don't have a stand-alone M.Div.

Wasn't aware of Auburn, looking at it right now!

But Yea I definitely want ATS accreditation. Very difficult to get picked up for military chaplaincy without at ATS accredited degree.

Thank you!

Got it, thanks for clarifying.

If I might add one more, perhaps consider Boston University's School of Theology (in the few years I spent at BU and doing a one-year degree at the School of Theology). Despite its Methodist history, it has a very strong interfaith culture and emphasis. Furthermore, BU and HDS are both part of what's called the BTI (Boston Theological Institute). If you don't get into HDS but you get into one of the affiliate theological schools (like BU School of Theology), you're allowed to take some courses at HDS through BTI to meet your MDiv requirements at BU.

http://www.bostontheological.org/

Update: Hartford Seminary has recently been added in the BTI, so you can also take classes at Hartford Seminary to finish your degree at HDS or BU School of Teology

Edited by MarthUser

I would check out Brite Divinity School. I can't comment directly on UU there, but in many regards they are very open and progressive. I think this article illustrates the diversity of students and their chaplaincy program.  If I remember right, they got a lot of flack over Jason Heap, but they stuck to their convictions. Valerie Forstman use to be the head of admissions (maybe she still is); she is an exceptionally pleasant person and very helpful in talking to potential students about the Brite community and the potential fit. I'd look her up if you are interested. It also doesn't hurt that Brite tends to have very good funding and cheap cost of living compared to NE programs. 

I also found this article from UU's website that lists some programs to check out. 

Also in Brite's favor: They have the Soul Repair Center and probably the school most dedicated to the growing field of "moral injury" and working with soldiers that suffered a traumatic event during war. Dr. Nancy Ramsay leads the SRC and while she does a lot of work in Pastoral Theology, she'd be an awesome person to talk to.

For an idea of their courses: https://www.brite.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/S18-Masters-Schedule_010918.pdf (Spring Masters Schedule)

On 1/19/2018 at 7:47 AM, ChristoWitch87 said:

I like what Hartford is doing, but they don't have a stand-alone M.Div.

Wasn't aware of Auburn, looking at it right now!

But Yea I definitely want ATS accreditation. Very difficult to get picked up for military chaplaincy without at ATS accredited degree.

Thank you!

My husband got his MDiv at UChicago's Div School. While their academic programs are going through some leadership issues, their Divinity program is strong and highly interfaith. My husband's cohort included a Mormon, an Agnostic, and a Jew along with a healthy diversity of Christian denominations. 

The Mormon student (now graduate) is a Reserve chaplain now, and he ended up not being endorsed by the LDS Church because of his views on marriage equality. He found an alternate endorsing group called the Federation of Christian Churches, which endorses Christian-ish chaplains for hospitals and the military. I don't know if they would endorsed a pagan, but my point is that there are little organizations around that exist to endorse "non-traditional" chaplains. 

Finally, I don't know if you know what branch of the Armed Services you want to go into, but some have more evangelical chaplains than others, and they can make it very difficult for you to do your job. But you're right, that every branch needs chaplains like you now. 

If you want, I can probably put you in touch with that UC grad. PM me if you do. ?