Help with Re-Application in 2018

Bouton

Currently planning for re-application for next year.  Have yet to hear back from 4 schools, but I'm assuming they're going to be rejections since interviews have gone out for all 4 programs.

Any advice on how to improve next year?  Number one goal is to improve GRE, but anything else?

Program of Interest: Neuroscience PhD
GPA: 3.2 (upward trend; senior year GPA 4.0 & last 2 years GPA 3.6)
GRE: V 158 Q 156 AWA 5.5 (problematic)
Demographics: Domestic white female from BIG 10 school
Research:  Total of 5.5 years doing research in 3 different labs.  3 years in UG and 2.5 (about to be 3) years as a RA.

1) Worked for 2 years in UG in an epigenetics lab.  1 poster presentation, but in the end wasn't interested in the research question, so I left the lab.
2) Worked for 3 years in UG in a cogneuro lab but my grad student graduated before we could submit our paper, and so the paper is just sitting on my PI's desk at this point
3) Worked (working) for 3.5 (about to be 4) years in a lab doing electrophysiology.  2 posters at SfN, 1 oral presentation, 1 pub (coauthor), 2 pubs in prep (first author).  Completely independent work (I am training postdocs and PhD students in the lab, nobody oversees my work except my PI).  

2 fantastic letters, 1 good letter.  SOP was looked over by many people and I thought it was great, but I could be wrong.

I tried to make sure my research compensated for my grades, but it looks like it hasn't worked out in my favor.

My PIs who wrote my great letters are well connected, and have told me they don't understand what has gone wrong, and to reapply next year.  
I'm assuming its my GRE/GPA that's the problem.  

Masters degree?  More research experience?  What should I do for next year?

Edited by Bouton

If you are interested in reapplying to some of the programs you applied to this year, you could always contact the department and ask for specifics on why your application was denied. Most of the time they will let you know the deficiency in your profile so you can use that info to improve your chances for the next cycle. 

I'm interested in reapplying to a single program due to personal circumstances (UC Berkeley).  While they haven't formally rejected me, I have lost any hope at an interview at this point.  3 faculty members told me I am a great fit, but of course my grades are probably holding me back.  Took 3 grad level neuro classes postbacc and got As so I'm not sure what to do about grades at this point.  Any advice for this?  I'm pretty disappointed in my pending rejection based on my fit and communication with members of faculty, but perhaps I rubbed them the wrong way when I had a phone call with one of the professors.  

I have interviews at two schools which I will not name, but I will say @BabyScientist I may see you if I end up going on one of the interviews ;)
I also currently work at one of the programs you have an interview at so if you want any advice PM me!  While I personally didn't apply, I'm very familiar with a large portion of the faculty and most grad students.  I'm sure you can guess which school.

Edited by Bouton