CalSWEC/Title IV-e/UCCF

LeeSav

Hello Everyone, 

I was recently accepted to CSULB’s full time MSW program for 2018, and am awaiting admissions decisions from CSUN and CSULA. I am planning on applying to the child welfare stipends available but have not found a whole lot of information on the application process. I am specifically wondering if (assuming I get into another school) I can apply for the stipend through more than one program and then decide where to attend based on the results. I am really passionate about child welfare and these stipend programs sound amazing. I am also looking for any other insight into the application process people have to offer. Any information/support is really appreciated. Thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...

@LeeSav Speaking from my own experience at CSULB, I was given the option to apply for CalSWEC once I started the program and was in the internship exploration process. We were given a internship preference form in which I was able to designate my interest in applying for the stipend program. After that, there was a separate application and interviewing process. 

I am assuming many schools are similar. The program is a great opportunity but can be very competitive. If you are passionate about child welfare and can show that you are committed to a child welfare career, that can make you a competitive applicant. Best of luck. CSULB is a great, competitive program. Because of the affordability of the program, the stipend covered the cost of my MSW. 

@gandma thank you so much for this information! Do you mind if I ask a few more questions? How many students were in the CalSWEC program with you? When did you find out you had been selected for the CalSWEC program? and when was your application due/interview? Thanks again! 

@LeeSav i completed the advanced standing MSW program so my timeline will look a lot different from yours. From our program only 4 were accepted, though the number of accepted students for the 2 year program was bigger. Our application was due in June and interviews were done within a few weeks to a month after. We were notified within two weeks I believe, but that was because we started internship soon after.  I can’t recall specifics though, since it was a bit ago.

By the way, the CSULB field staff is very nice. I highly recommend you reaching out to them directly for specific answers to your questions. :)

Edited by gandma

• 2 weeks later...

@AlexusSWRK I liked advanced standing. It was nice to be able to finish in a year and to not have to repeat foundational courses. Parts of the program were fast paced so you have to be ready to produce work quickly. 

The school tells you that it is not possible to work and they strongly discourage you from doing so. I worked part time the entire time. It was a lot of juggling but fortunately my employer was flexible in giving me hours on days that I could spare. The stipend was winderful in that it helped cover a significant portion of my housing and basic necessities. 

Hi I have one more question if you don't mind! I went all through undergrad with not having to take out loans because financial aid covered all of it (i attend sac state). I was wondering if the same can happen for grad school? 

How does financial aid go for the advanced standing msw program? I've noticed that advanced standing programs are roughly 17,000 for the one year. Is it possible for financial aid to cover all of that with just grants?? Or will you have to take out a loan. Did you pay for tuition by using the stipend or were you granted a lot with financial aid? 

you'll be relying on scholarships in grad school, not grants.  what undergrad grants did you have that covered your full tuition?!  "financial aid" also refers to subsidized federal loans, but you'd know if you had to be paying anything back.  you're lucky to leave undergrad with no debt!

• 4 weeks later...

@gandma  Hi! I know its been awhile since I last asked you a question, but I am wondering if you would be able to answer what the starting salary range is for people working in child welfare in LA as a CalSwec recipient. I don't have any expectations necessarily, but I can't seem to find much info on it and it does seem like useful information before applying to this stipend program. Thanks!