Late LOR and early acceptances have already been sent!

Ronomon

So my SO and I are applying for PhD programs in the US, and one of her programs had Jan 15th as a deadline. She's still missing one LOR, which already was contacted and said she'll sent it tomorrow. However, based on the results search, early acceptances have already been sent. Is she screwed? I don't want to tell her and I'm freaking out on my own.

Edited by Ronomon

Hard to know. Applications are occasionally considered even if they are incomplete, but other times they may not be looked at at all. I don't think anyone here can say more than that. If the program does early and later decisions, there's still a chance. If not, that may be the end of it. You may never know why a decision went the way it did. 

I wouldn't say she is totally screwed, however, I think she should have contacted her referee to ensure it was sent by the deadline.. That being said, what's done is done. Seeing as it is only the early acceptances going out, I wouldn't entirely lose hope! I think it's best to try not to stress too much and prepare for the waiting game. Like the poster above said, there isn't much else to say.

Good luck to you both!!