Canadian Universities

jessiko

Hi! :)

Has anyone applied for history departments at any Canadian universities? Just want to see who is in the same boat as I am!

Does anyone have any insight into the University of Alberta or Toronto?

Unfortunately, the results page shows nothing for the University of Alberta regarding history. (The University of Toronto is another story, making me nervous about my prospects since they've already notified some people.)

Sorry, just writing this because I am getting so tired of waiting (like most of the people here!) So I thought I'd finally stop being a lurker and join in on the discussion.

Just wanted to see in the meantime who has applied to Canadian schools! :)

Hi! :)

Has anyone applied for history departments at any Canadian universities? Just want to see who is in the same boat as I am!

Does anyone have any insight into the University of Alberta or Toronto?

Unfortunately, the results page shows nothing for the University of Alberta regarding history. (The University of Toronto is another story, making me nervous about my prospects since they've already notified some people.)

Sorry, just writing this because I am getting so tired of waiting (like most of the people here!) So I thought I'd finally stop being a lurker and join in on the discussion.

Just wanted to see in the meantime who has applied to Canadian schools! :)

I applied to Toronto for Asian history. Admitted with funding about two weeks ago. Best of luck!

I don't know about those specific schools and I applied last year and am attending a Canadian MA program but the word around the department (and people I know at other schools as of Friday is:

- Dalhousie has made offers

- Simon Fraser have made offers

- Queens has not (or have only contacted some people)

- Trent has made first round offers

- Toronto have contacted some folks, but not others. (My experience is that they don't contact everyone at once and can often be very, very late)

- UBC has made offers

Thanks for the insight! It's very odd, I haven't come across a single person applying for Alberta's program, nor is there anyone on the results page (even for previous years). The applications were due mid-January and all the application materials don't have to be in until later in March, so it might be April until anyone hears. Who knows?

That's very strange about Toronto. In any case, I'm still waiting for them. I don't even know whether to be hopeful or not, but I suppose the only thing to do is wait! *crossing fingers*

• 1 year later...

jessiko,

I was accepted at UAlberta in mid-late Feb. My results post should show in the search. There was someone else from this forum accepted there this year, someone doing Japanese history.

I am declining there, so maybe that'll open up a spot for you. I hope.

UA offered a 15k annual TAship and a full tuition waiver (c.$8750ish)

I got a better offer from Simon Fraser, and hit it off quite amazingly well with my supervisor there.

I've also previously been to UA for summer courses (undergrad) and archival research (in March), so if you have some location-specific questions, I may be able to help.

Bumblebee,

I applied to UBC for my MA two years ago. They were the last ones to get back to me, and my only rejection. Hope you have better luck.

I only heard from Toronto last week, so they're still making decisions!

And I haven't heard from UBC at all, if it helps.

I was accepted to UBC (PhD program) at the end of February, but I ended up declining the offer. Hopefully you hear from them shortly! Good luck.

Hey all,

First of all thanks to all of you for contributing your knowledge, it´s very much appreciated! Just wanted to know if anyone has any info on PhD History at York, Toronto or U de Montreal? Haven´t heard a thing and, like most of us, I´m getting scared.

Thanks!

B

I was accepted to UBC (PhD program) at the end of February, but I ended up declining the offer. Hopefully you hear from them shortly! Good luck.

Thanks. :)

I applied for the MA however so it probably won't make a difference.

If anyone lurking has a vested interest in McGill or U of T History MA's in medieval history I'll probably turn them down soon in favour of funding at a less prestigious school so there's still hope!

Hey all,

First of all thanks to all of you for contributing your knowledge, it´s very much appreciated! Just wanted to know if anyone has any info on PhD History at York, Toronto or U de Montreal? Haven´t heard a thing and, like most of us, I´m getting scared.

Thanks!

B

II don't know anything about the other two, but UofT send out its first round of PhD acceptances in mid-February. I'm also told that they could only take 15 people this year (they usually take a bit over twenty). I don't know if or when there will be a second round. It also seems that they sent out a batch of MA acceptances early last week.

But you never know- there could be an unofficial waitlist. Best of luck!

II don't know anything about the other two, but UofT send out its first round of PhD acceptances in mid-February. I'm also told that they could only take 15 people this year (they usually take a bit over twenty). I don't know if or when there will be a second round. It also seems that they sent out a batch of MA acceptances early last week.

But you never know- there could be an unofficial waitlist. Best of luck!

Yeah U of T wrote in their rejection letter that they had 200 applicants for 16 spaces for the PhD. I got 2 letters. One from the graduate unit and one from the faculty. Very very nice letter saying they were impressed but just couldn't make an offer at this time because of a lack of faculty supervisors and funding.

Oh well! I'm now waiting on another school so here's hoping. To all those who are waiting on U of T, looks like they've sent out all their acceptances and rejections so good luck to all of you and all the best to those of you who got in! Hopefully we'll be seeing one another at some conferences in the near future.