Question about chances at a top 20 program...

jamesie

Hmm, it'll be great if I can have some insight on this question...

I currently have an MA in poli sci and found a job teaching in a community college. I'm hoping to get into get a particular top 20 political science PhD program in the city where I teach. So, I was wondering if taking a class or two from that department with the professor I'm interested in working with will help my chances at all, especially if my academic credentials aren't exactly stellar. I have pretty average gpa (3.7), no publications, and mediocre GRE scores (680/680/5). Perhaps I can improve my GRE scores but there's probably not too much that I can do besides that (maybe put a lot of thought into my SOP). Any thoughts and ideas?

Your GRE scores are fine. A 680 verbal is pretty damn good and a 680 quant is solid. I scored 700Q/580V/5.5AW on my GRE and I'm not worried. You shouldn't be either. A 3.7 GPA is nothing to fret about either. Put together a good statement of purpose and get good recommendations and you'll be a strong candidate.

• 1 month later...

hey, it may be too late to respond but i think if you really have interests that fit the program you definitely have a chance of getting in. i have similar stats to you- 3.6 undergrad, 3.8 in poli sci MA, 700v, 650q, 5.5 wa. honestly i think what got me into hopkins was the fact that i had really good SOP which was tailored to their program. what i want to research is a perfect fit there. also, i had strong LORs, in particular one of my letter writers got his Ph.D. at Hopkins in late 90s so i think that helped, too. so yeah, i think it would help to get a strong rec from one of the profs in that program, it would carry a lot of weight. but as another prof at a top 25 program told me, the SOP is crucial to explaining why you think your interests fit well with that dept and why you would rather study there than anywhere else. when you are competing for so few spots your GPA and GRE are important, but not as important as what you would bring to the dept. you are applying to and how you would fit into the work they are currently doing. although it's hard to tell it seems that those programs would rather let in someone with yours, or my, scores who fits in very well with their research than someone with a 700+ on both GRE sections and a 3.8.

one caveat is that i think that it varies greatly by dept. and may help to apply to a slightly smaller program that doesn't get upwards of 300-400 apps, like a harvard, berkeley, or chicago. but i am sure that they let in people with yours and my type of scores too if they have a strong writing sample, SOP, and LORs and demonstrate why they are a GREAT fit.

hope that helps.