1/3 time GRA

Spectrum

I've been offered a PhD position with a 1/3 time RA and monthly stipend of ~1100 $ and a reduced tuition and fees of 843 $ per semester. Since I had applied for the summer 2010, my offer says that this appointment is for summer 2010, fall 2010, and spring 2011. Now, I am guessing that if I had applied for the fall entry instead of summer then I would have to pay to register for only two semesters i.e. fall 2010 and spring 2011 and my stipend would have been the same 12 months salary? Am I right or that I would have needed to also register for the summer 2011 in order to receive that payment during summer time?

I am considering to ask for an increase in my offer because this is my top choice program and I have verrry little time to apply for vise and all that.

Thanks for your reply. So, in that respect it doesn't matter for which semester I applied and whether the funding is 1/2 or 1/3 time.

But, I'm worried that my offer is not going to even nearly cover the expenses. Should I ask for an increase? Is there a chance they accept my petition? Sould I email my adviser or the graduate office first? I want to ask for a 1/2 time assistantship.

Also, could you specify what a typical funding offer for a PhD position nowadays is? I want to know whether my offer is below the average or above that?

With this offer, my pocket earnings would be almost 800$ per month that should cover all of my expenses except for the matriculation tuition and fees.

It depends on the department. In some departments, 1/3 time is standard and, since all students are funded equally, you wouldn't be able to get bumped to 1/2 time (unless of course they bumped everyone else, which is unlikely in today's economic climate). You can ask for an increase, but don't be surprised if you don't get. You would want to ask the Director of Graduate Studies for the department.

As for what is typical for a PhD position, there's some threads of stipend amounts elsewhere in "The Bank". The answer is that what's typical varies based on the cost of living, whether the university is public or private, and the area of study. In general, at public universities, humanities PhD students make less than those in the sciences. To find out what's typical at the university you're interested in, do some digging on department websites and on the website of the Graduate School.