Loyola Chicago 2018

HannahRae

Hello! 

I wanted to see if there are any other people applying to Loyola University Chicago! I have always liked their program but after receiving my acceptance I found myself thinking of it as a my top choice! 

I went to an open house and the current students and alumni emphasized how much they valued their time in the program.  They stated that the clinical program is extremely comprehensive, and ensures that it students can take what they learn and use it practically as clinicians. 

1 hour ago, julesevar said:

I was curious about this program and if they offer aid in the form of scholarships, assistantships or fellowships. Also interested in the MSW/MA Women's studies option.  Any thoughts?

They have two scholarships on their website that are up to 25,000 a year the application for the one I did was fairly easy! They also consider students for need based and merit scholarships when looking at their applications. I was told they send out notice of scholarships and aid in the first week of March.  

At the open house I attended they spoke about the dual degrees and specifically talked about how the women and gender studies masters is great for people who want to work with women and the queer community. 

A few of the alumni there talked about the process of getting assistantships and that they post them online as well as mentioning open positions in class. They said they were paid about 12/hr.

Currently at Loyola! I am doing the MA in WSGS but got into the dual-degree program and might stay for SW portion. Many of my classmates are dual-degree students and love the option. I've taken two social work classes so far, so let me know if you have any questions. 

3 hours ago, green_dots21 said:

Currently at Loyola! I am doing the MA in WSGS but got into the dual-degree program and might stay for SW portion. Many of my classmates are dual-degree students and love the option. I've taken two social work classes so far, so let me know if you have any questions. 

I've heard great things about the MA in WSGS! 

What is your general impression of the social work program and do you feel like the classes prepare you for working with clients? 

47 minutes ago, HannahRae said:

I've heard great things about the MA in WSGS! 

What is your general impression of the social work program and do you feel like the classes prepare you for working with clients? 

From what I've heard about other SW programs, students across the board have similar issues of not having diverse faculty or faculty who are up-to-date on appropriate language, especially regarding gender. At the same time, the faculty who are rad are SUPER rad. My classes have been racially diverse, and the conversations were informative. Many professors are great at incorporating students' field placements into the curriculum and providing space for students to decompress and chat. Most of social work is really about doing the work. I think that shapes students' experiences in the program (and really, most social work programs) because if you are going into the program with zero experience, you are going to feel un- or under-prepared no matter what whereas having some experience will allow you to think more critically about the field and how to incorporate new practices you've learned. That's not to say students with less experience are not skilled, but that having experience vs zero experience will shape people's expectations around readiness. 

Edited to add: I say my comments above as someone who has worked for non-profits and directly in my field for over five years. My reason for pursuing a MSW is to move up in my career rather than getting my foot into the door. 

Edited by green_dots21
added additional comments

• 1 month later...

Hi all! I just got accepted to Loyola Chicago! Still waiting to hear back from a couple of schools but wanted to know everyone's thoughts of the Loyola program. What do you like best about it? Or why did you choose to attend Loyola over other schools? What are some of the cons? Obviously the price (as I am out of state) is an issue. Also, did anyone apply for scholarships??

2 hours ago, CCollins said:

Hi all! I just got accepted to Loyola Chicago! Still waiting to hear back from a couple of schools but wanted to know everyone's thoughts of the Loyola program. What do you like best about it? Or why did you choose to attend Loyola over other schools? What are some of the cons? Obviously the price (as I am out of state) is an issue. Also, did anyone apply for scholarships??

Congrats!

I really love the program because of its clinical focus and the fact that most of the professors are practicing clinicians. I also appreciate that the program attracts people who are from all walks of life, careers and ages. I am also very interested in several of the professors research. 

The lack of financial aid is definitely not great but I it is definitely possible to find cheap housing in Chicago and that can cut down on costs. I applied to both of the need based scholarships and Casey Hendricks in Enrollment said that merit scholarships should be announced soon. I guess for some a con could be that they are not a researched based institution but for me that is actually a pro. I see it as a pro because for me that means that the professors are their to teach not just do research.