Conflict with TA work and grad school recruitment weekend

GirtonOramsay

Question

So I currently work as a hourly teaching assistant for a class that has an exam which I am expected to proctor for my duties. However, on the same day, I was supposed to leave for a graduate school recruitment weekend, and they have already paid for the plane ticket. Note: I have not been admitted yet. I signed up for the graduate school visit in a hurry with the short notice they gave me, so this is ultimately my fault for overlooking this conflict with my TA schedule.

I feel inclined to decline the grad school visit and have them try to do an skype interview instead since I do not want to potentially lose my job over this. However, I feel that bailing on the graduate school might just get me rejected from this graduate school for wasting money and resources to organize the visit. How should I approach this situation?

Thanks in advance.

3 answers to this question

I don't know the specific policy in your department, but you should see if there is anyone (either your supervisor or another graduate student) who would be able to cover for you during your absence. As you indicated, the prospective school hasn't formally admitted you yet. They are definitely interested in you since they have already paid for your ticket and invited you to the recruitment weekend, but not going could indicate to them that you aren't truly interested in their program, or, it could look bad since they've already spent money on your ticket. 

I would just try to be transparent with your course supervisor about the situation and see if there would be any way for someone to proctor the exam in your place. Worst case scenario, your supervisor says no and you break the news to the prospective program. I would, however, do this sooner than later because if you tell them quickly that you won't be able to attend the recruitment weekend due to prior responsibilities, they may be able to refund your plane ticket and not actually lose money.

Best of luck! This does seem like a pretty tricky situation. I hope it ends up working out! :)

Hey Ishouldbewriting and rising_star,

Yeah I put myself in a rut here, but thanks for the advice with just trying to find another proctor. Not sure why that didn't cross my mind, but I can easily get someone in my department to cover. I can only hope the supervisor is okay with it. Thanks!