Harvard History of American Civilization 2010

hoytthorpe

Hi, is anyone else like me still waiting for Harvard to decide on History of American Civilization? From what I understand, they might call you, send an email, or send something by post.

But can anyone tell me more about what the phone call might be? Do they grill you? Is it basically an interview?

And what about visiting days? When would those be? I live in the UK so probably wouldn't go, but you never know...

I'd be interested to know who else has applied to this programme, looks like we might find out pretty soon.

Hi, is anyone else like me still waiting for Harvard to decide on History of American Civilization? From what I understand, they might call you, send an email, or send something by post.

But can anyone tell me more about what the phone call might be? Do they grill you? Is it basically an interview?

And what about visiting days? When would those be? I live in the UK so probably wouldn't go, but you never know...

I'd be interested to know who else has applied to this programme, looks like we might find out pretty soon.

i've applied to the am. civilization program. i'm pretty sure they notified by post last year, but no idea if they will do the same this year. i haven't heard anything yet, but judging by previous timelines, it looks like decisions will be made soon.

did you contact any faculty during the application process? i had a few contacts, but i'm not sure what role that will play in the decision making process. best of luck!

I'm in the UK as well, so I would also have a hard time making it over there. Most likely, though, I won't have to worry about it :)

Edited by Emerson

Last yer most of us found out by post. I think one person got a phone call because her address was confusing or something...I got my acceptance letter on a Saturday. But I lived in New England at the time so I was very close to Mass already. It's a great program, different in many ways than other Am Stud programs. I'm really loving it here...Good luck to you guys!

GG

Yup, looks like they've sent out some letters already... I might have to call them in two hours when the East Coast wakes up because I don't want to wait another couple of days for the letter to arrive.

Question though: if they send out rejection letters, does that mean they know who they've accepted? Or could it be just the first tranche of rejects and they still have to whittlle down a shortlist?

How frustrating - I have a Frist from Oxford and came top of my year from London school of economics, and won the prize for best masters dissertation that year, and when I applied, John Stauffer, the Chair of the programme, actually called me to chat and said he was very excited to receive my application and that it resonated with several of the faculty there. Then he offered to edit my personal statement, which he did, and said it was superb. Then he gave me a list of books to read before coming to Harvard. Then I was rejected! Arrrgh!

How frustrating - I have a Frist from Oxford and came top of my year from London school of economics, and won the prize for best masters dissertation that year, and when I applied, John Stauffer, the Chair of the programme, actually called me to chat and said he was very excited to receive my application and that it resonated with several of the faculty there. Then he offered to edit my personal statement, which he did, and said it was superb. Then he gave me a list of books to read before coming to Harvard. Then I was rejected! Arrrgh!

wow, i can only imagine how frustrated you must feel. i was angry enough, having met with a few faculty members about similar research interests before applying and then getting rejected. if it's any consolation - and i'm sure it isn't - your story makes me feel better about my situation!