Philosophy: SLU vs. Baylor

pursuitowisdom

Hello fellow philosophers!

I am thrilled to have gotten accepted to the philosophy PhD program at both SLU and Baylor. I am trying to decide between the two and would appreciate any inside information on the departments. I am looking for a community of philosophers who genuinely love wisdom and seeking wisdom out of the Christian tradition. My areas of interest include philosophy of religion, analytic theology, virtue ethics, moral psychology, and (to a lesser extent) the intersection of mathematics and philosophy. Being part of a community of earnestly Christian intellectuals is huge to me. Thank you!

Edited by pursuitowisdom

Hey there,

Though I am not a Philosophy major I was interested in your question. Taking into consideration the different denominations each school is (Baylor/Baptist and SLU/Catholic), I feel that it may be somewhat telling to what kind of philosophy you are looking for. In terms of Christianity, is there a denomination that you find yourself closer/more drawn to out of the two?

I live near SLU (and also applied two PhD programs there) and am very familiar with the program and some current grad students.  I'd be happy to put you in touch.

They tend to be a department strong in history/ancient, religion, continental, and health care ethics.  I know far less about any specializations into math and philosophy.

It's a good community, though.  The SLU, WashU, and UMSL grads get together pretty regularly at student-led events and local conferences.  It's a pretty close community.

I can't speak to the philosophy programs, but Waco, where Baylor is located, is a close drive both to Dallas, and to Austin.  So it's definitely a smaller town than Saint Louis, but it's close (within a 90-120 minute drive) of two pretty significant social areas.

Plus, you know, the Branch Davidian compound.  That's always good for a single, strange visit.

Waco sucks, St Louis is pretty cool. That's my main contribution. Waco is a wildly boring town, and Baylor has enough shitty scandals to last them a century. I'd say SLU. Aren't they the #1 school in volunteer hours in the country or something?