Biochemistry degree vs. Biology degree

bio160

Hello!

I am a sophomore in undergrad and am currently designing my four year plan. I want to pursue a PhD in biological research, probably in neuroscience or early development. My advisor thinks I should shoot for a double major in biochemistry and biology. Chemistry is definitely my most difficult class and has had the most significant impact on my GPA ( I generally earn between B's and A-'s). My school is on the quarter system and the double major would require three more chem classes than I would have otherwise. I am going to take a full year of O chem and a full year of bio chem regardless. The double major would mean I would not be able to take as many 3000 biology electives and I also couldn't graduate with honors. Given, the honors program at my school is pretty much a joke especially since I will probably get a distinction in major. Thoughts? Is it a good idea to pursue the bio chem or to just take extra biology classes? 

Thank you!!!!!

Hi! Wow that’s exciting that you are already starting to think about grad school. I personally don’t think the double major would be necessary. I would take a look at what classes are required for graduate programs you are interested in and make sure you fit those in with your required major classes. It would be better to stick with your biology major and have a higher GPA, rather than adding a second major and potentially lowering it with extra chem classes. I would also try to get into a research lab as soon as you can (which you will have more time for without the extra classes!!). Research experience + higher GPA will get you into better schools than a double major.  Just my two cents! Good luck! 

11 hours ago, bio160 said:

Hello!

I am a sophomore in undergrad and am currently designing my four year plan. I want to pursue a PhD in biological research, probably in neuroscience or early development. My advisor thinks I should shoot for a double major in biochemistry and biology. Chemistry is definitely my most difficult class and has had the most significant impact on my GPA ( I generally earn between B's and A-'s). My school is on the quarter system and the double major would require three more chem classes than I would have otherwise. I am going to take a full year of O chem and a full year of bio chem regardless. The double major would mean I would not be able to take as many 3000 biology electives and I also couldn't graduate with honors. Given, the honors program at my school is pretty much a joke especially since I will probably get a distinction in major. Thoughts? Is it a good idea to pursue the bio chem or to just take extra biology classes? 

Thank you!!!!!

Hey there. I agree with microbenerd in that the double major isn't going to help you too much, especially if you don't have an interest in chemistry and aren't planning to apply to a biochemistry-specific program. However, and I don't know if this is true for your school, but some upper level bio classes might have at least the first sections of orgo and biochem as prereqs. For example, my senior-level cell bio class had these. 

That being said, I started my undergrad with similar goals to yours (neuroscience grad school) and began majoring in biochem. After making Cs in Chem II, Orgo I, and Biochem I, I realized I didn't like chemistry and that it would just continue to hurt my GPA and damage my resolve. I switched to a relatively soft major (psychology), minoring in bio, and eventually graduated with a decently high GPA. I actually learned more about neuroscience in my psych classes than I did in my bio classes. That isn't to say that cell bio, biochem, and neurobiology weren't extremely helpful. By I learned MOST of what I needed to know for grad school from working in a lab and independently reading about what interests me. Do join a lab ASAP. If I can get interviews for biomed neuroscience programs with a psych major and 2 yrs of research experience, you can probably do it with a bio major and just as much or more research experience. Good luck!

While quantitative experience can be "impressive," if it's not your thing, don't do it. Is there any way you can pick up a psych or neuroscience minor? Otherwise, I agree that extra biology and extra psychology classes would be most helpful (plus research, obviously)!

I really don't think taking extra chemistry courses beyond inorganic and organic chemistry (with lab) are going to hurt your chances for admission.  What will is if you take up the double major, can't manage it, and then your grades suffer as a result.  I would look at the coursework requirements for the programs you are interested in, and if you are unsure, feel free to contact a program administrator/coordinator about it.  But you should be fine with the two years of chem.  I think it's much better for you to just do the bio major and then use that extra time to get involved in undergraduate research if you haven't already, because that's going to be the most important part of your application to graduate school (along with a recommendation letter from the PI overseeing your research!).  Earlier the better!  This is just my thoughts though.

I would look into doing either a behavioral neuroscience/physiological psychology/neuroscience course if those are available to you.

FWIW, we've had a lot of discussions on "over-credentialing" among students on my campus, with the general consensus from faculty being that a double major almost never helps admission chances unless you're applying to grad school specifically in that second major *and* the programs you're applying to require a major in that field. 

As a chemistry faculty member, I can see almost no point in double majoring in biology and biochemistry- in fact, we specifically disallow that combination of double majors on our campus, because there's too much overlap for it to be any use to the students. 

Grad programs may want to see specific coursework, but your transcript will show that, and letter writers can highlight it. Unless you want to take all of the classes a double major requires, I'd avoid doing it "just because".