2010 Religion/Theology MA/MTS/MDiv Results

Jack Horner

The PhD thread is still going strong, but since it's (almost) March 1st, and most Masters programs start accepting students within the next 3-4 weeks, I figured that we could start our own MA/MTS/MDiv support group.

At this point, I'm already resigned to being rejected from all 4 of my programs. There's an inner peace that comes along with that. :lol:

So, in the meantime...where are you applying? Then as the acceptances (or rejections, in my case) start rolling in, we can share results.

I've applied to some master's and Ph.D. programs. The Ph.D. thing didn't go so well...I've heard from Vanderbilt M.T.S. and UNC-Charlotte M.A., accepted at both. Am awaiting Chicago M.A., Yale M.A.R., and Duke M.T.S.

Congratulations to everyone who's heard back from their programs! I'm not expecting to hear back until the second week of March (the earliest). Right now, the suspense is killing me. It's not like it's the end of the world if I don't get in to any of my programs (I have a decent and stable teaching job); however, my life is in a holding pattern until I know where I'm going to be living in 6 months. The weekends are the worst part, since I have lots of time to dwell on the future. I'm sure most of you are/were going through the same thing right now.

Here's to hopefully having some closure (good or bad) by the end of March! :o

Congratulations to everyone who's heard back from their programs! I'm not expecting to hear back until the second week of March (the earliest). Right now, the suspense is killing me. It's not like it's the end of the world if I don't get in to any of my programs (I have a decent and stable teaching job); however, my life is in a holding pattern until I know where I'm going to be living in 6 months. The weekends are the worst part, since I have lots of time to dwell on the future. I'm sure most of you are/were going through the same thing right now.

Here's to hopefully having some closure (good or bad) by the end of March! :o

just out of curiosity, which concentration did you apply to in the MTS at ND? I applied last year and received rejection at the end of March, but I suspect if you make the cut, you will hear something in the next two weeks. All the best!

I've been accepted to Drew's M.A. in liturgical studies with a scholarship, but I am still waiting on Notre Dame's MTS in liturgical studies. I really have no idea what to expect, so I am trying to keep my expectations low. I have a solid GRE, a masters degree with a high GPA, a paper presented at a national professional conference, and two decent references accompanied by a well-connected reference. I'm also from a tradition, which has historically had very little interest in liturgical studies. I am hoping that gets my application noticed. The wait continues...

Just found out I got waitlisted at Duke. It's cool though-- was planning on choosing Emory/Candler over Duke anyway. (I got into Emory/Candler-- my stats are in some other comment above).

My concern now though, is... does this mean that I can pretty much rule Yale and Harvard out? Or is it one of those things where it just depends what schools are looking for at the time? I have recommendations from alums of both those schools, so that can't hurt either...

Either way, I know I'm at LEAST going to Candler School of Theology so life so good!

Just found out I got waitlisted at Duke. It's cool though-- was planning on choosing Emory/Candler over Duke anyway. (I got into Emory/Candler-- my stats are in some other comment above).

My concern now though, is... does this mean that I can pretty much rule Yale and Harvard out? Or is it one of those things where it just depends what schools are looking for at the time? I have recommendations from alums of both those schools, so that can't hurt either...

Either way, I know I'm at LEAST going to Candler School of Theology so life so good!

Don't rule out Harvard or Yale until March 15. You still have a shot like the rest of us!

I found out on 2/25 that I was accepted to Union Theological Seminary's MA program!

No idea about funding. That's to come later.

Still waiting to hear back from: Harvard and Yale Divinity, Boston University and Columbia

Yay for grad school in the Fall!

I do American religion and non-fiction writing, so I applied to four very different programs.

The two religion ones? MTS at Harvard and an MA in Journalism & Religion at NYU. Still waiting to hear from both. From what I understand, I could hear from NYU any time between now and the end of March. Harvard sent my application to committee on Feb 24, as I think they did most MTS applications. I'm expecting to hear around March 15 for that.

Although I have some heavy-hitting recommendations for both programs, I'm not expecting admission to either, as they're both really competitive, and I proposed a self-designed course of study for Harvard. We shall see. Certainly not giving up hope over here.

Accepted to Fordham for an MA in Historical Theology. No funding, though. I won't be accepting as I have a fully-funded offer from FSU.

Same, in Systematics...won't be accepting because I have already have a nice offer from a better program (BC).

how were you notified if you don't mind my asking? I heard of someone else hearing back about their MDiv app so I called and they said not to expect my answer until like the 15th. I'm an MTS but I don't understand why there would be a difference.

how were you notified if you don't mind my asking? I heard of someone else hearing back about their MDiv app so I called and they said not to expect my answer until like the 15th. I'm an MTS but I don't understand why there would be a difference.

I got a letter. I couldn't find a date for when decisions would be made on the website, so I emailed admissions last Monday (Feb 20-something) specifying that I applied for the MDiv program, and wondering when I would receive a decision and I got the answer "We should be sending out decisions in the mail this week." Sure enough, a week later, I got the waitlist letter... so maybe it is an MDiv vs. MTS thing? Hm.

The deadline for Duke's M.Div. applications was 1/10, while the deadline for their M.T.S. program was 2/1. Therefore, they are allowing approximately the same amount of time to process the applications of the two programs. The Results Search shows that last year there was a master's acceptance on 3/9. Thanks for sharing that they said this year announcements will be made around 3/15.

Has anyone using the forum confirmed with Notre Dame when they will send out M.T.S. decisions? According to the Results Search, a master's applicant was notified last year on 3/10.

Two years ago, I got an email on 3/5. So results should be going out soon. Best of luck, and if you get in, I hope you choose to come--it's a fantastic program.

One of the schools that I applied asks me to provide my Bachelor degree and Master degree copies to verify my graduation date. Do you think it is a good sign?

Thanks.

Edited by surisuri

One of the schools that I applied asks me to provide my Bachelor degree and Master degree copy for verify my graduate date. Do you think it is a good sign?

Thanks.

I do think it's a good sign. I had a school audit my application and asked for supplementary transcripts right before admitting me.