Skowhegan 2018

triangles321

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/13/2018 at 2:19 AM, D4A1G7 said:

Out of curiosity what's everyone's applicant number? Mine is #1191

Where do you look for that at? Regardless, we should all hear something next week, April 4th seems to be the time frame in which applicants here back.

19 hours ago, Zander said:

Where do you look for that at? Regardless, we should all hear something next week, April 4th seems to be the time frame in which applicants here back.

I got an email from them stating my application id. I applied around December.

maybe by writing this i'll cosmically jinx myself ....(but i'll be willing to take the risk for the sake of doing good and stating what i think is legit feedback for skowhegan admissions should anyone up there lurk this board...)

but hey, skowhegan, you guys need to let people know sooner....

im sorry, i know you dont want to hear this, and i know going through thousands of applications must be insanely hard, but your organization has the longest wait-time of any residency i've ever applied to and it's not cool... especially considering the full context:

1. the amount of funding you also have, 2. your skowhegan application fee, 3. your nice facilities, 4. plus your fancy faculty, 5. your official offices in new york city, 6. your staff, 7. plus your annual gala  -- .... so yeah,  the overall skowhegan applicant experience for us little guys looking in on you with big hungry eyes just feels a little off-putting for us applicants as we sit here scattered across the globe... as applicants we all go through this headache because we too dream of one day being included, i'll admit it, but yeah.... it's still not cool how long this process takes.... 

to put this amount of time in a bodily perspective, from the time you open applications in the early fall to the time you give notice of selections in the spring, one could actually get pregnant and have a premature child (at 6 months) with an 80% survival rate because you guys move so dang slow....

please, for the sake of all the little people out there trying to schedule things like family, work, and life, please move faster...  i know you dont want to hear this, but this is just free advice that is coming from a real place about how you are being perceived from the outside from all those nameless names of random applicants, like me, waiting and waiting on the outside....

Edited by triangles321

@triangles321

YEASSS!!! You better preach it, I agree, shouldn't take 6 whole months! On the website, it says Mid-April! For the past few years, they usually announced the first week of April. Bless the hearts of the artist who've gotten admitted and had to plan an exit strategy from their jobs, save additional monies and do all of this and so much more in less than 2 months. Very presumptuous and pretentious of Skowhegan but yet every year a resilient group of 60 young and hungry emerging artist arrives, despite it all...

I always thought the Skowhegan admission process was so long because they collude with their "Marching Partners schools" to confirm if certain finalists are newly matriculated with a partner school.

I don't think your application chances increase after a few times. From what I heard, jury has recurring people, not all the same, not all different. 

PS. your chances might improve with each year because your work might be improving, so your portfolio gets better!  

by the way, on their website it says MID April. I know in the past they announced results early April. This year, they might be needing the extra two or so weeks, and moved the date. We might be expecting results too early. Who knows!

https://web.archive.org/web/20160301003902/http://www.skowheganart.org/applicantinfo

Here is what it said in 2016:

The 2016 application is now closed

ADMISSIONS DECISIONS WILL BE DELIVERED VIA EMAIL By EARLY APRIL.

Please do not alter or delete your Vimeo videos until then.

It sounds like mid April could be a couple more weeks

Edited by Mel00