Skowhegan 2018

triangles321

52 minutes ago, Paintingal said:

Also nothing. Is it really true that the board takes previous applications into consideration? I read in another thread that your chances increase after a few times. But the jury changes each year, right? 

32 minutes ago, Blue-latte said:

I don't think your application chances increase after a few times. From what I heard, jury has recurring people, not all the same, not all different. 

PS. your chances might improve with each year because your work might be improving, so your portfolio gets better!  

Yeah - I've also heard that even though the minimum age is technically 21, that they take very few people under 25ish each year, I think the average age is probably closer to 30, so if you are young, each year passing might also just make you a more competitive applicant by virtue of age.

On another note, one question I had looking over the website again today (since this thread has piqued my interested) was that in the FAQ it says:

"Who should I ask to be a reference on my application?
The names of your references are not revealed to the admissions panel and are not a considered in the admissions process. Identify individuals who can speak to your commitment and openness as an artist and your ability to work well in a communal setting. Skowhegan does not accept letters of recommendation. "

what is the point of references if they are not considered? is it just to get more art world people's emails to spam?? (seriously why should I to donate to skowhegan - they rejected me the last two years!!) Or is this FAQ a lie? When would they be asked to "speak to my commitment" as an artist if not in the admissions process??

Thanks for the thoughts! Haha well then I’m pretty old for Skowhegan standards these days, but I have heard of people going at least into their early 40s. I actually wondered the same thing, too, about references and have no idea. Maybe it is just to see who you would ask? Again, who knows. 

14 hours ago, cabot245 said:

Yeah - I've also heard that even though the minimum age is technically 21, that they take very few people under 25ish each year, I think the average age is probably closer to 30, so if you are young, each year passing might also just make you a more competitive applicant by virtue of age.

On another note, one question I had looking over the website again today (since this thread has piqued my interested) was that in the FAQ it says:

"Who should I ask to be a reference on my application?
The names of your references are not revealed to the admissions panel and are not a considered in the admissions process. Identify individuals who can speak to your commitment and openness as an artist and your ability to work well in a communal setting. Skowhegan does not accept letters of recommendation. "

what is the point of references if they are not considered? is it just to get more art world people's emails to spam?? (seriously why should I to donate to skowhegan - they rejected me the last two years!!) Or is this FAQ a lie? When would they be asked to "speak to my commitment" as an artist if not in the admissions process??

3 hours ago, Blue-latte said:

They might not send anything before next week. They said mid April. I'm taking their word for it!!  

The waiting sucks, though!! Have been rejected a few times in the past but one of the visiting artists this summer is a hero of mine so makes it that much more of a dream. Just want to know one way or another as we all do...but they are obviously doing the best they can with what seems like even more apps than usual. 

Edited by Paintingal

We might be in for some waiting. I’ve settled to the thought that if they moved the traditional timeframe from early to mid April it means they need the extra time. Mid April could mean ten more days. I need to buckle up.