2018 International Applicants to the US - Decisions?

VeryCheesey

Hi fellow applicants!

I believe all of us are in the same boat when it comes to decision making.

While applying to every university, I looked at the pros of their curriculum, but now that I have a few admits, I am unable to weigh them against each other to decide the precedence.

Coming from a non-public affairs/government sector/humanities background, I have a basic idea of my field of study during Masters, but no prior experience to help me determine where I ultimately want to end up working. Hell, I am not even convinced I do not want a career in academics - a small research experience in the field over the last few years has me convinced that I might want to pursue a doctorate for all I know.

One thing I know for sure is that I intend to return to my country, and so the regular DC career vs. other careers in the US that we regularly see on this forum do not really apply to me.

The factors I am weighing in as of now are:

• How well the education can be extrapolated in the context of my native.
  • The sort of research at the university in my area of interest (technology ethics)
  • Flexibility of curriculum, that may allow me to explore the wide domain of my choice and establish a niche over the next few years
  • Obviously, the financial aid I receive! :D

How are you guys planning to make this very important decision ultimately?

I believe the most valuable resort that you can use to decide whether a program is right for you or not, is to talk to alumnis (hopefully from your own country). These people are the only ones qualified to tell you what the real deal is in their program and how you can make the best of your new knowledge and diploma in your hometown. 

Where and what to study is one of these decisions that you just cannot make by being fully rational and studying the pros and cons of information drawn from the internet. You will probably get lost by your own previous biases and uninformed judgements.

I have found that people are quiet happy to get together an talk about their experience abroad, so go for it!