Having second thoughts about attending an interview - advice appreciated

Timemachines

Hi all - Im having second thoughts about attending an interview at a university ("well ranked"/ has great reputation for training - happy to disclose via PM, just dont feel comfortable doing so here). I recently got my itinerary and am finding that I wont be interviewing with my primary faculty interest at any point during the weekend, but rather an entirely different lab. This program has an unfortunate reputation for poor student morale (despite excellent training) and is located in a place that Im not sure I could see myself living. These thoughts are coming from perspective gained through previous interviews this cycle. Has anyone experienced second thoughts regarding interviews and released their slot? I would love for this to open an opportunity for someone that truly wants to be there. Any and all experiences appreciated.

Hi, first congrats on getting all the interviews. 

Well, for me personally, I don't think it's a bad idea not attending an interview at a university where you know for sure you will not go. And it really depends on whether you have an offer on your hand or not. In my case, after I secured an offer that I know I will accept at the end, I basically just treat other interviews as free travels. On the other hand, it also depends on your schedule as well. Interviews sometimes can be very disruptive to your current work. So if I am sitting on an offer and very busy with my current work, I will definitely not attend an interview that I'm not interested in. 

However, it is another story if you have not got an offer yet. 

Best of Luck! 

As long as you think there is a chance you might decide to go to this school, it would be wise to go on the interview and see things in person. Have unmediated conversations with the students there about their well-being and location. I attended a school that generates a lot of rumors, all from people who never attended, and all entirely false, as far as I am concerned. Get the info you need firsthand. Do this especially if you don't have other offers in hand yet. Keep all your options open and consider this a networking opportunity. On the other hand, if you have better options and you don't think this one is for you, then I think it would be a very nice gesture to relinquish the spot for someone else before the interview date. You've earned the right to do what's best for you first, but once you have a decision, communicate it to whoever needs to know. 

If you have an outstanding acceptance, I would say do not go unless you are seriously considering this program. 

In fact, I went to a recruitment weekend this past weekend and absolutely fell in love with the program, and decided not to attend an upcoming interview weekend at another school. The interview is just four days away; I set this interview up in December, back when I had not heard from my top-choice programs. I emailed them today explaining that I had an amazing experience at X school and will be accepting their offer of admission. I also explained that I did not want to take a spot from another deserving student, and thanked them for their consideration. They understood and wished me the best. 

I should note that I had to pay for the flight first (they did not book my travel for me), so I'm taking a hit on the flight (non-refundable). It sure beats traveling 10 hours each way for a school I know I'm not going to attend. 

So, I might be the voice of alternative reason, but I believe that interviews can decide futures.  I had acceptances to my top 6 schools and almost skipped an interview at the school I ended up attending.  I had the flu and already knew the school was at the bottom of my list.  However, I was encouraged by my faculty mentor to go.  Once I did, I saw that the faculty and the student body fit me better than I thought possible.  I may be an outlier here, but I NEVER thought I would even entertain the idea of going to this program because of my acceptances prior. However, what I saw in the student and professor population was a perfect fit - despite feeling as if the program wasn't up to my expectations.  I would encourage you to go, unless you know FOR SURE you wouldn't attend this program.  You may be pleasantly surprised :).