Interviewing with people not in same area of research: how to prep

phyanth

So, I have interviews coming up with professors in the same department, but with vastly different areas of research. How should I prepare for these interviews? Do I still become familiar with their research in depth (e.g. reading recent articles)? Or would it be okay to have general knowledge of what their research interests are? I don't want to be under prepared, but I also don't want to spend a wealth of time trying to decipher their research, which is completely different from my areas of interest. 

You don't need to read recent articles of everyone you're meeting with. Have a general idea of their research area and be prepared to ask questions about the department, how they see grad students fitting into their research, etc. You aren't ever going to be expected to have a detailed knowledge of all the major areas of anthropology so this is a good time to start preparing to interact with anthropologists in fields vastly different from your own.

11 hours ago, rising_star said:

You don't need to read recent articles of everyone you're meeting with. Have a general idea of their research area and be prepared to ask questions about the department, how they see grad students fitting into their research, etc. You aren't ever going to be expected to have a detailed knowledge of all the major areas of anthropology so this is a good time to start preparing to interact with anthropologists in fields vastly different from your own.

Thank you!