Phd in IU Bloomington or UT Austin

Morningliang

So I am very lucky to be admitted to both of the PhD programs, and now I am kinda stuck at deciding which to go. My research fields are gender, immigration and race, and both sociology departments have quite good faculties in these fields. That's why it makes my decision even more difficult. Can anyone maybe give me some advices/suggestions about what to choose? Thanks a lot!

I don't know much about UT Austin, but I do know that IUB is thought of as a great training program for sociology grad students. Their placement in the past few years has been pretty good, and living in Bloomington is nice money-wise. I'd say you'll have a good idea after the visit, because then you can get to see the department's culture and how happy/productive grad students are at each place. 

1 hour ago, converse said:

I don't know much about UT Austin, but I do know that IUB is thought of as a great training program for sociology grad students. Their placement in the past few years has been pretty good, and living in Bloomington is nice money-wise. I'd say you'll have a good idea after the visit, because then you can get to see the department's culture and how happy/productive grad students are at each place. 

Hey thank you for the reply! The thing is that I am an international student and for some personal reason I can't make it to the Campus Visit... But yap I've heard about the good placement of IUB and that really attracts me (on the other hand, it's a really small place while I am a really city person... And I am not that much worried about money at this point since both departments are very generous to me.)

Edited by Morningliang

I would definitely think about placement but also the additional opportunities (graduate certificates, pedagogical training, summer research/funding, conference travel funds, etc.) available to you at each place. If you can, try to video chat with current students so that you can get a better sense of what it will be like at each place.

On 2/20/2018 at 11:48 AM, Morningliang said:

So I am very lucky to be admitted to both of the PhD programs, and now I am kinda stuck at deciding which to go. My research fields are gender, immigration and race, and both sociology departments have quite good faculties in these fields. That's why it makes my decision even more difficult. Can anyone maybe give me some advices/suggestions about what to choose? Thanks a lot!

I'm not super familiar with those programs, but if it comes down to location, Austin is incredible. Cost of living will be higher, but there's definitely still cheap places to live if you're okay having roommates. Lots of incredible music, food, festivals, and opportunity.

• 2 months later...