Informational Interviews and thank you

kayemeh

I have scheduled a visit to my top choice program. When I originally scheduled the visit, I had indicated an interest in observing a class. But it is their Spring Break week. However, the admissions director offered herself for an informational interview. I've visited two schools this year, but both have been after I submitted my application and the school had extended the invitation. With this visit, I just want to make sure I make the most of my visit. Since it is an individualized visit, would a thank you card be appropriate? I tend to be old fashioned and prefer physical cards over emails but I don't want to overstep a boundary. 

Have any of you done anything similar? 

I think making sure to send a thank-you is more important than whether it comes by email or card, so I don't know that there's a wrong choice here. Just make sure that your thank-you is not a form letter (specific details from your conversation helps with this) and that your gratitude and sincerity are clear. Handwritten notes take time, which conveys sincerity. However, if you're not already accepted to this program, then the time it takes to receive a mailed thank-you may make it seem like you forgot to do it, which may have an impact on decisions.