Summer Start?

So, one of my schools has given me the option of starting during the summer (basically, just moving my funding package back two months).  On the one hand, I want to get this party started!  On the other hand, I want to make sure I'm not shortchanging myself, since I'd be starting before the rest of my cohort.  I'll admit that I'm also feeling anxious about leaving my current city early, but being able to start a "job" again would be a nice extra benefit.

Any general thoughts?

Will it short change you for the year? I ish I could do this, but that's because I'm excited to move into the city.

I don't think you'd be worse off, your probably be in class with more experienced students so you may have a better idea of what's expected than the start cohort. Those fall start classes usually are only the first years, so no one will know what the profs are expecting.

Is the summer start research only or would you be taking classes too? Are you feeling burnt out with whatever you're doing right now? 

FWIW, I did a summer start for my MA and it worked out ok, mostly because the prof didn't have crazy high expectations for research and even told me to make sure to take a vacation before fall classes started. I didn't feel that different from others in my incoming cohort, in part because some had already gone to that university for undergrad.

23 minutes ago, rising_star said:

Is the summer start research only or would you be taking classes too? Are you feeling burnt out with whatever you're doing right now? 

FWIW, I did a summer start for my MA and it worked out ok, mostly because the prof didn't have crazy high expectations for research and even told me to make sure to take a vacation before fall classes started. I didn't feel that different from others in my incoming cohort, in part because some had already gone to that university for undergrad.

I'm assuming it would be classes only, actually.  But I'll confirm with the department head when we chat on Thursday.

In terms of being burnt out, I guess...sort of?  My company shut down a year ago, so I've been unsuccessfully job hunting.  If I start early, then I get an income earlier, and I get to do something (anything) besides pet the cats and be frustrated. :) 

10 hours ago, E-P said:

I'm assuming it would be classes only, actually.  But I'll confirm with the department head when we chat on Thursday.

I'd actually be surprised if it were classes. There aren't many grad classes in the summer at most institutions. You could probably look for the schedule of classes online to get a sense of what the summer course options actually are.

Ah, the advisor already said we'd be talking about which grad classes I can take, so I know that class will be a part of it.  That said, you're absolutely right in that it'll depend on the classes offered.  My department doesn't offer grad classes in the summer, so it'll be one of the interdisciplinary courses that are required. I don't want to end up the odd duck in aerospace engineering classes, so...we shall see.

Funnily enough, my fellowship requires taking classes during the summer.  So it's ironic that the fellowship requires it...but the department can't provide it.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

9 hours ago, E-P said:

Funnily enough, my fellowship requires taking classes during the summer.  So it's ironic that the fellowship requires it...but the department can't provide it.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I had a fellowship which required that in grad school. What it meant was that I took "directed research" or something like that as my summer course. So it's a course but more akin to an independent study than a traditional graduate seminar.

Okay, I got to talk with the program director on Friday, and here's the sitch:

Although the actual comm department doesn't offer any summer courses, lots of students take classes over the summer.  There are three in particular - two research methods classes, and one "intro to stats" class - that people take.  Since there's a stats class and various research methods classes required for the coursework, it makes sense.

I will probably take the stats class.  The coursework is spread over 2 months (June-July), so I'll have a longer time to understand it.  Taking that will also free up some time in the fall semester so I can take some other classes I'm interested in, rather than taking the departmental stats class then.

I guess I won't be selling my 1999 graphing calculator just yet after all!