Fill out FAFSA for PhD program?

Coyosso

This may seem like a silly question, but I'm wondering if I need to fill out a FAFSA for a PhD program. They pay tuition, so the reason I'm asking is either for reasons I'm unaware of that may require the FAFSA or because I am currently paying off student loans and wonder if I need to fill out the FAFSA for these loans to be deferred while I'm in the program. 

Thank  you!

Edited by Coyosso

From what I understand most people with stipends and tuition coverage fill out the FAFSA for graduate school if they feel like the stipend they will be receiving is not enough to live off of, so they then ask for small loans to help cover living costs. In my current master's program I know several students who did this because our stipends were tiny and they needed that bit of extra loan money to help pay rent and food costs.

20 hours ago, Coyosso said:

Thank you, all! That was very helpful. I apparently have to contact my loan officer to inform them of my situation in order to get a loan deferment.