Got into a good program, but how do I ask them to give me more funds

cluelessandpanicking

As I have written in the title, I just got admitted into a m.a program which is a good fit for my research interest and has a good track record of sending students to good doctorate programs.

The only problem is, they are offering me only $9000 in scholarship which only covers half the tuition.

Do you think it is a good idea to try to negotiate with the department to convince them into providing additional funds? Would it help to tell them I have a fully funded offer from another less prestigious but solid program? 

Please help!

It never hurts to ask, but don’t be surprised if they say no. I’d send a polite email to whoever sent you your funding info thanking them for what they’ve given you already and then explaining why you need more. Sometimes fafsa doesn’t give an accurate picture of need and you can write about your circumstances. Just keep it brief, and again, don’t count on them saying yes. 

Worth a try. I know several international undergrad students for whom this has worked.

I had suggested this to a friend last year who received no funding for his Masters, he didn't do it but he told me recently that some members of his cohort tried and received an increase. Im negotiating for full funding too right now and I've received  assurance that the Department is trying. But as modmuse advised, I'm not pinning my hopes on it and neither should you.

I asked for more funding and received it from my MA program. In my "appeal" I first offered the fact that I had other fully funded offers, and secondly framed it in terms of my success in the program. If I was going to be financially strained, having to work extra hours, worried about money, it might impede my progress to the degree. Good luck getting more funding!

It does happen, but in my own personal experience it depends heavily on the program itself (the funding situation, the applicants who applied during that particular application cycle, the departmental politics, etc.) and so many other internal "moving parts." Quite frankly, most of which goes on behind the scenes and you may never understand it or some of which you may only begin to understand after you start the program. For example, I didn't know it at the time but I was lucky as a domestic student to receive a tuition waiver and stipend for my MA. Most of my departments funding goes towards the international students in order to make it possible for them to attend. Funding at the Masters level is almost always limited depending on the institution, the department itself, and what other scholarships or opportunities exist for students. However, as others have pointed out, be prepared for them to say no.

I would find out who directly makes (or influences) these decisions and either arrange to meet with them in person or arrange a phone call. I think it's worth a try. I would be up front about your financial situation and if possible, try to find out the kind of packages other students in the past have received to see where you stand and if asking for more funding is reasonable. I was straight forward with my graduate advisor even before I was accepted, expressed my interest in the program and the fact that I would not be able to attend otherwise due to my financial situation. It's an uncomfortable conversation to have, but it's important to learn how to have these kinds of conversations. I believe that it does get easier over time, you just have to be professional and state the facts. Make a case for yourself and your potential. You must learn to advocate for yourself and your bank account, because nothing hinders opportunities quite like financial hardship. 

Trust me, even if you can negotiate for a little bit more, it makes a difference!

Edited by kaaat

• 4 months later...

Dear All,

I had forgotten about this post for a while in my joy and the whirlwind that is the end of school year, but I wanted to let you know how helpful your advice were.

Thanks to all you kind people, I was able to secure a full tuition remission+stipend support from my dream program.

Once again, thank you for your wisdom and support.