Adjustment from low rank state school to Stanford

I currently attend one of the largest undergrad institutions in the US, where my engineering classes were fairly easy and stress-free; in most of my classes, I didn't need to put in much effort to get high A's. I've been accepted to Stanford for my Master's (PhD end goal), as well as a couple other top 5 schools. Does anyone have experience transitioning from an easier undergrad institution to a top grad school? I like to think that I'm up for the challenge...

I did. I came from Guam where the University of Guam is the only school accredited by WASC  located in the Pacific. It's super chill and got to know my professors beyond the classroom. Then I moved to Saint Louis University two years ago for my MA. Big jump for big fish in a little pond to what seemed like an ocean. However, I made the most of it. I'm now entering a PhD program in August and feel much better. 

Of course Stanford is an even bigger ocean, but it's all about perception. Getting a master's and PhD is no easy task so you shouldn't take it lightly. Of course, you also need to keep in my mind what's your end goal? Academia? Working for the private sector?

PM me if you have questions!

2 hours ago, pinoysoc said:

I did. I came from Guam where the University of Guam is the only school accredited by WASC  located in the Pacific. It's super chill and got to know my professors beyond the classroom. Then I moved to Saint Louis University two years ago for my MA. Big jump for big fish in a little pond to what seemed like an ocean. However, I made the most of it. I'm now entering a PhD program in August and feel much better. 

Of course Stanford is an even bigger ocean, but it's all about perception. Getting a master's and PhD is no easy task so you shouldn't take it lightly. Of course, you also need to keep in my mind what's your end goal? Academia? Working for the private sector?

PM me if you have questions!

Thanks for your insight! I'm still on the fence about my end goal, but definitely leaning towards industry for now. I figured I'd be able to make a more informed decision once I'm a couple years into grad school. 

I attended a mid-sized, recently founded state school for undergrad, and was often very intimidated that my education wouldn't hold up compared to students who'd studied at top-ranked state schools or the Ivies.  What I've come to find is that at a mid or low rank school, the number of very good students is smaller than at very competitive schools - maybe 5% very good students to 50% very good students - but the caliber of work the very good students are capable of doesn't change that much from school to school.  I've had some competitive fellowships and internships now where I have worked alongside students educated at Ivies or at top public schools, and I've been capable of just as much as my coworkers/fellow students.  Don't be intimidated.  You were chosen for a reason.

9 minutes ago, Wall7213 said:

I attended a mid-sized, recently founded state school for undergrad, and was often very intimidated that my education wouldn't hold up compared to students who'd studied at top-ranked state schools or the Ivies.  What I've come to find is that at a mid or low rank school, the number of very good students is smaller than at very competitive schools - maybe 5% very good students to 50% very good students - but the caliber of work the very good students are capable of doesn't change that much from school to school.  I've had some competitive fellowships and internships now where I have worked alongside students educated at Ivies or at top public schools, and I've been capable of just as much as my coworkers/fellow students.  Don't be intimidated.  You were chosen for a reason.

@punctilious I think you need to hear this. :)

5 hours ago, Wall7213 said:

Thanks - that's very encouraging to hear. I've had similar experiences with my internships, just never thought about it like that!