Is ArtCenter good in Art?

sssstea

I was accepted by ArtCenter in graduate art program, the school looks like have a strong faculty and special classes. But the school is small, no scholarship, so it's expensive. Have you guys applied to this school? Or any ideas for accepting this offer? I am reeeally anxious because the other offer I get is BFA in SAIC.

I'm sure it's a good program, as much as I'm sure they're out to get your $$. I would never consider applying to artcenter, calarts, otis, or any of those private la art schools. If you are looking to get an mfa and not go into a dangerous amount of debt, consider funded programs at universities. 

If you have a hundred thousand dollars to blow, I say go for it. 

Edited by Y2K666

Lol look at the alumni that came out of CalArts art mfa and then talk. 

Funding is important, but so is quality. 

10 hours ago, Y2K666 said:

I'm sure it's a good program, as much as I'm sure they're out to get your $$. I would never consider applying to artcenter, calarts, otis, or any of those private la art schools. If you are looking to get an mfa and not go into a dangerous amount of debt, consider funded programs at universities. 

If you have a hundred thousand dollars to blow, I say go for it. 

1 hour ago, Y2K666 said:

good artists aren't so because of a 2 year program 

if you're making your career decisions because of an alumni list, look again 

clearly there is absolutely no correlation. Sorry son, but if your non-private program (oh yeah rhat rules out columbia, yale too) makes no difference in advancing your career as an artist then the value is limited. 

You overlook the fact, these programs often only accept artists with potential in the first place.

Good artists arent because of a 2 year program. But if you think a 2 year program does nothing for an artists, then why bother to go in the first place? Fully funded ego trip? 

• 2 months later...

After applying for two MFA seasons I can see how there is some truth to what has been stated here. Fact is there are too many applicants for the limited spots available funded or not.  I am not an accountant but one does not have to be to see how the whole application process alone is a big money maker for some institution. I am amazed that after all the application fees they get they charge the few applicants they accept at all. The programs should be paying for themselves. I agree with the other poster,  go for the fully funded programs but know there will be even more competition. Look outside the box and consider going overseas for your arts degree.  It all depends on what your future goals are and if an MFA will help you reach those goals. Some of the elite and private Universities have funding and if you are the candidate they want they will find the money. Consider researching grants and fellowships.

Best of luck.