Waitlisted Pre-Interview - Should I reach out?

Hi all! I wanted to ask what others have done or recommend doing in this situation. I was waitlisted pre-interview (about 2 mos ago), and the in-person interview for the program took place about 1 month ago. Is it okay for me to reach out to my POI for information about my status? He had told me he would be in touch, but I haven’t heard from him. I want to convey my continued interest in the program, but don’t want to seem hasty either. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :) 

Hi @FeministPsychologist,

While I come at this from the clinical side, as far as I know if a school offers interviews, it is very very unlikely to be accepted without an interview (especially when the interview weekend already took place a month ago). Some programs, like some I/O psych PhD programs for example, admit based on applications and don't require interviews. However, I think the norm across other subfields for PhD is an interview. To be "wait-listed" pre-interview is probably just to the school's benefit. If you are adamant on contacting the program, I would reach out to the graduate coordinator, not your POI. That information would then inform you whether or not it would be worth contacting the POI. That is just my understanding of this process, however, so take it as you see fit.

3 hours ago, b_l91 said:

Hi @FeministPsychologist,

While I come at this from the clinical side, as far as I know if a school offers interviews, it is very very unlikely to be accepted without an interview (especially when the interview weekend already took place a month ago). Some programs, like some I/O psych PhD programs for example, admit based on applications and don't require interviews. However, I think the norm across other subfields for PhD is an interview. To be "wait-listed" pre-interview is probably just to the school's benefit. If you are adamant on contacting the program, I would reach out to the graduate coordinator, not your POI. That information would then inform you whether or not it would be worth contacting the POI. That is just my understanding of this process, however, so take it as you see fit.

Yeah, I definitely get what you're saying. Thanks for your help!