MPA / MPP / Phd Policy Admissions 2008

i'm curious...how is the USC SPPD MPA degree viewed? is it more of a regional school? or does an MPA from usc have a national appeal?

When I looked into USC I ended up not applying based off of "jobs our graduates hold". Simply because most did have a more regional nature to them (California Govt and such). UCLA had less of that, so I choose them for my "California application"

I have a friend in the MPP/MPA program (joint) that they have there, and he LOVES it though, and told me he knows plenty of people that moved on into the federal govt from there. So maybe they just choose to advertise a more regional feel???

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While we're talking about USC, can anyone who's been admitted and received (or know about) the Dean's Merit Scholarship, if they don't mind, let us know what exactly that entails? Is it tuition plus stipend, or just tuition (or less)?

Thanks!

it looks like someone asked about USC/MPP, MPA

i dont know if my info helps but yesterday i received the mail that notified me the acceptance of their mpp program with Dean's merit-based scholarship($ 12,000 tuition waiver for 1st year). And i know a girl who also got their mpa program with the same amount of money.

Hope it helps!

Hello and thanks for the constructive posts-I have been able to get a clearer understanding of the decision timeline via this blog than the actual program websites. In reference to the USC Dean's Scholarship, I received one as well, but for only $5,000. I am concerned that might be the total fin aid package-which is clearly not enough.

Did anyone apply to the MPP at UCLA or University of Washington? I am waiting on the Harris School and WWS like everyone else, any notification posts would be much appreciated.

If this helps, I have received acceptance letters from UPENN, USC, TUFTS, NYU, and the New School. Rejections in early february from Duke and Georgetown.

Thanks for keeping this post up and everyone informed.

Wow, I am so glad to see I am not the only one suffering in silence over the MPP admissions process. I haven't been this anxious since senior year in high school. I feel everyone's pain. So far, I have been accepted at USC SPPD w/ a small dean's merit scholarship and the LBJ School at UT Austin (funding details to come, but I am entitled to at least $5k from a fellowship earned in undergrad). I am still waiting to hear on GSPP at Berserkeley, UCLA SPA, and KSG at Harvard. I don't expect anything good from Harvard or Berkely, but felt like giving them a shot for the hell of it. As far as I could tell from here, GSPP and UCLA have begun to send out acceptances since early this week, and I am feeling like I should just treat them as rejections at this point. Is this reasonable? I tried calling them today, but no one answered the phones.

Since going to USC SPPD will require the sale of a kidney on the black market, I have pretty much ruled it out, so its looking like Austin could be it. The non-resident tuition rate is almost too good to be true. Any one else thinking about LBJ and has some more insight into the program, beyond the website and viewbook? I plan on flying out for the admitted students day so I can get some more in-depth info and feel out the city before making the final decision. Quality of life is a huge factor in my decision-making, which is one aspect that many people on other forums (autoadmit cough, cough) seem to not address.

I wish everyone the best of luck and to try to cope with these few weeks of uncertainty, doubt, and anxiousness. My main coping mechanisms have been happy hour, friends, and iTunes. What about you all?

P.S. For anyone in or from Austin, are the SXSW and ACL music festivals as amazing as indie blogs and PBS make them seem? I admit, part of my motivation for applying to UT Austin was the fact that Austin is the "Live Music Capital" of the U.S.

--Rebecca

P.S. For anyone in or from Austin, are the SXSW and ACL music festivals as amazing as indie blogs and PBS make them seem? I admit, part of my motivation for applying to UT Austin was the fact that Austin is the "Live Music Capital" of the U.S.

--Rebecca

i'm not from austin or anything but i have friends from down there and they say "absolutely, though it can get expensive or hard to get tickets to some of the sxsw shows"

Has anyone received an admission decision from the MPP program at UChicago (Harris) as yet? I thought I stood a decent chance there, and have already been admitted to Michican (Ford) and Carnegie Mellon (Heinz), but have heard nothing from Harris. I am also waiting on KSG (MPP), although that is likely a longshot.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

i promised myself i wouldn't go on gradcafe this weekend and lurk people's posts but i'm here...instead of working on my thesis

blah, i haven't heard from ucla, chicago, carnegie mellon, sipa, or umich... i hear a lot of people have heard from these schools already so i'm guessing i should treat these as rejections?

so far, i got into AU and pittsburgh and awaiting the billz$$$

the money thing is killing me, i would hate to feel like my hard work and the whole admissions process didn't pay off for 08-09 but if i don't receive any funding i don't think i can go anywhere. luckily, i have no undergrad debt (thanks to living at home and going to public univ. mostly) but i would still hate to carry $50k+ debt after i'm finished. i'm thinking i'll just find work next yr, increase my gre scores, brush up my foreign language skills, apply for nsf/fulbright...

i feel like i'm changing my mind everyday :(

lynz u r funny~~ and i am changing my everyday too....i was thinking to work for another year and apply to MBA...or end up going for school which provide me enough funding....or the better program but with no $$$$$ which might not be paid off later on.....

so far,,,, i haven't yet heard a thing from u penn/fels(why nobody applied to their program?), au, jhu.....but i guess the reults will come to me soon....

I was also thinking maybe I should not even bother with the MPP right now. But now I've actually warmed up to the idea of going to GPPI. Yes, I will have some debt. But applying again in another year or two might not really mean less debt. Tuition will have gone up (more than inflation, as it usually does). Yes I will have saved more money. But I will also have hated my life and felt miserable about my job for another year or two. Basically, it's money, and I either pay it now by saving or pay it later with interest. The interest I will pay is worth liking my job a lot more (and probably having higher earning potential, too.)

Another point, in terms of GPPI's career services: I do have some reservations about how organized it is and how strong it is compared with a school like Ford or UChicago or KSG. But you know what? I'm smart. I am aggressive. If a school sets a job up for me, awesome. If it doesn't, I think I can handle myself. I've done it before. There are tons of opportunities out there, and I don't even need a ton. I just need one.

Hi erin, thanks for the info.!!

But i cannot find any useful employment info on Gtown/GPPI's website, like employment stats, internship, etc. And do they have its own career center? My friend who is studying Int'l Affairs at GWU told me its very important. Some professional school has its own career development center, which means more job opportunities for the current students. I just downloaded the Gtown/GPPI bulletin and there r only 2 pages about the career service info. But from what i have seen on Ford School's website, it looks like they have a number of summer interns available. Also, i was told that location is not as important as the overall ranking and prestige. Any thoughts?

Hello and thanks for the constructive posts-I have been able to get a clearer understanding of the decision timeline via this blog than the actual program websites. In reference to the USC Dean's Scholarship, I received one as well, but for only $5,000. I am concerned that might be the total fin aid package-which is clearly not enough.

Did anyone apply to the MPP at UCLA or University of Washington? I am waiting on the Harris School and WWS like everyone else, any notification posts would be much appreciated.

If this helps, I have received acceptance letters from UPENN, USC, TUFTS, NYU, and the New School. Rejections in early february from Duke and Georgetown.

Thanks for keeping this post up and everyone informed.

Hi Sonjad,

Congrats on your accpetances! Did you here from the New School via email or postal mail?

Thanks!

gtown must be realllllllllllllllllllllly uninterested in me. My app went complete on 01/23, and I emailed them Friday to ask when I might expect a decision and they didn't even bother to respond. Ouch :(

I completely feel your pain...while I applied to a different program, they truly have been taking their time. I know of nobody receiving any response from them in the SFS...via post or email.

Yay I just got into GSPP! Sadly, no funding. They were lower on my list than Georgetown so I doubt I will go. Still... acceptances always feel good.

normajean--would you mind sharing your stats? i feel like it's highly unlikely that i'll get in at this point, but it'd be nice to have a point of reference in any case!

congrats btw!!!

normajean--would you mind sharing your stats? i feel like it's highly unlikely that i'll get in at this point, but it'd be nice to have a point of reference in any case!

they're mailing out decisions by post so you'll likely hear something soon. i shared my stats on this thread earlier, but briefly: 3.8 GPA from top 15 private school, 790V/800Q/4.5 W.

Anyone admitted to LBJ get the letter yet straight from the school? I got the graduate studies letter a few days ago which was postmarked March 3. I'm just wondering if they'll be early on the second letter like they were with the e-mails.

Also, anyone recall what percentage of admits typically are offered funding? I remember reading it somewhere on their Web site in the fall but can't find it again... I think it was somethign like 60 percent.

Anyone admitted to LBJ get the letter yet straight from the school? I got the graduate studies letter a few days ago which was postmarked March 3. I'm just wondering if they'll be early on the second letter like they were with the e-mails.

Also, anyone recall what percentage of admits typically are offered funding? I remember reading it somewhere on their Web site in the fall but can't find it again... I think it was somethign like 60 percent.

Hey Sosh,

I was about to put up a similar post regarding the official acceptance package and funding. I also received the letter from GAIC, which was nice, but not very informative. I really really want to start to make my final decision and funding will be the most important factor. In regards to the 60 percent of applicants receiving some sort of support, that seems pretty impressive. I wonder what their average amount of assistance is. Anyone have a clue?

Damn, I need to stop obsessively checking the forum. This site is like cocaine to my Whitney. Oh well, it beats working at work. :P