Rescinded Admission?

PsychedSloth

Question

I got my acceptance letter from a graduate school and it says I need to maintain or improve my GPA from the time I applied, but I'm wondering if they would actually rescind the offer of admission for a slight drop (0.02-0.03) in GPA. Any thoughts? Thanks! 

Edited by PsychedSloth

4 answers to this question

On 3/8/2018 at 9:41 PM, PsychedSloth said:

I got my acceptance letter from a graduate school and it says I need to maintain or improve my GPA from the time I applied, but I'm wondering if they would actually rescind the offer of admission for a slight drop (0.02-0.03) in GPA. Any thoughts? Thanks! 

If you want a good answer to this question, you might need to post the GPA requirement they are asking you. I say that for this reason - the graduate school as a whole has a first/lower set of standards that all their departments need to meet (usually a 3.0 UGPA). However, individual departments often have higher GPA requirements (3.5 UGPA or 3.5 major GPA). If the former case applies to you, you could very likely be dinged. Graduate school standards are rarely ever waived because they are so damn low. If the latter case applies to you, you should fine (especially if you are funding your own studies). The department would need to file a petition to waive its rules for your situation. 

Hope this helps. Good luck on this semester.

Edited by DiscoTech
Typo

On 3/11/2018 at 7:46 AM, DiscoTech said:

If you want a good answer to this question, you might need to post the GPA requirement they are asking you. I say that for this reason - the graduate school as a whole has a first/lower set of standards that all their departments need to meet (usually a 3.0 UGPA). However, individual departments often have higher GPA requirements (3.5 UGPA or 3.5 major GPA). If the former case applies to you, you could very likely be dinged. Graduate school standards are rarely ever waived because they are so damn low. If the latter case applies to you, you should fine (especially if you are funding your own studies). The department would need to file a petition to waive its rules for your situation. 

Hope this helps. Good luck on this semester.

The graduate school requires a 2.75+ UGPA while the department requires a 3.0+ UGPA and I applied with a 3.15, but am currently at a 3.16.

Thank you! 

19 hours ago, PsychedSloth said:

The graduate school requires a 2.75+ UGPA while the department requires a 3.0+ UGPA and I applied with a 3.15, but am currently at a 3.16.

Thank you! 

If you drop below a 2.75, however slightly, you are toast. Not sure what to make of the departmental minimum since it is much lower than the 3.5 I am used to seeing. If a depart is willing to drop down to a 3.0 minimum I have a hard time believing they would hold hard against admitting a 2.98. Then again, if your GPA dropped that low, it implies a terrible last semester in school. You might be fine here, but I wouldn't count on anything. 

2 hours ago, DiscoTech said:

If you drop below a 2.75, however slightly, you are toast. Not sure what to make of the departmental minimum since it is much lower than the 3.5 I am used to seeing. If a depart is willing to drop down to a 3.0 minimum I have a hard time believing they would hold hard against admitting a 2.98. Then again, if your GPA dropped that low, it implies a terrible last semester in school. You might be fine here, but I wouldn't count on anything. 

The letter said to maintain or improve the GPA at the time I was recommended for admission (3.15 cGPA). I anticipate completing the semester with a 3.13 cGPA. The official letter that came via post mail made no mention of this, but the letter attached to my graduate portal did and they're from the same person. Their website says that anything via post mail is the official communication from the graduate school.  I feel like I shouldn't worry about it because it's such a small change, but was wondering if anyone had input.