Which school for Master's in Electrical Engineering? University of Texas Austin (Cockrell) or University of Washington? See details.

tinyraccoons

Which school for Master's in Electrical Engineering? University of Texas Austin (Cockrell) or University of Washington? See details.  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which school for Master's in Electrical Engineering?

• University of Texas Austin (Cockrell)
    • University of Washington

I'm from the Everett, WA area and have been admitted into the Master's of Electrical Engineering at University of Texas Austin (Cockrell) and University of Washington.  I'm still waiting for financial package from both, but assume that both will have a similar financial package.  Here's pros/cons:

UTexas Pros:

* Higher ranked (BTW, does anyone know whether UTexas Austin - Cockrell has a good reputation in the electrical engineering arena?)

* Offered along with a PhD, which I assume will start after I complete my Master's

UTexas Cons:

* Far from home (Everett), don't know anyone there

UWashington Pros:

* A lot closer to home, rest of family is there

* Went there undergrad, so know some of the professors already (but not particularly close with most of them)

UWashington Cons:

* Lower ranked

* No PhD linked with Master's

Thoughts on the two schools in general or on this situation in particular?

Am also from WA! I have a friend in UW's electrical engineering program and he absolutely loves it. He did his undergrad at Central and UW as well. I wish I knew more about the program, but I can see the benefits of going to Texas just because of the new opportunities, and growth, and all that jazz. Plus sunshine. Vitamin D is very important. 

Are you interested in getting a PhD or simply like the idea that UT admitted you to the PhD track?

If a PhD is your goal, this post is missing the most important part of the equation - the number of, and fit with, potential research advisors. 

If you just want a Masters, the reputation of the school is certainly more important it would have been if you were going for a PhD, but I would put some thought into where you are more likely to do well. No point in getting a shitty GPA at a Masters program, especially if it is a coursework-only Masters.

14 hours ago, DiscoTech said:

Are you interested in getting a PhD or simply like the idea that UT admitted you to the PhD track?

If a PhD is your goal, this post is missing the most important part of the equation - the number of, and fit with, potential research advisors. 

If you just want a Masters, the reputation of the school is certainly more important it would have been if you were going for a PhD, but I would put some thought into where you are more likely to do well. No point in getting a shitty GPA at a Masters program, especially if it is a coursework-only Masters.

I am leaning towards getting a PhD ultimately.  What are some ways I can learn about potential research advisors beyond just looking up profiles of professors online?

I recommend UT, Austin for 3 reasons:

First, UT's EE is not just a little better than UW. It means UT can offer a higher platform for you.

Second,no matter what you want to choose, find a job or do researches after you get Phd, TX has more oppotunities since there are more high-tech companies than WA.

Third, don't you think a warm weather can alway relax us? lol