Rejection/Plan B/Venting

Absurd'sTheWord

I hate to be a Debbie-Downer, but I am sure there are many frustrated (qualified) applicants receiving rejections. I am curious as to what your backup plans look like. Perhaps your "Plan B" could inspire someone here who is despairing or unsure of the next step.

-How do you plan to move forward overall (vocationally, emotionally, etc.)?

-If you've received a rejection letter, will you continue to pursue religious studies and/or theology on your own time?

-If your target schools aren't an option, are there other programs you are interested in?

-What outlets are available for you to engage your desired course of study outside of a university/Div school setting? What would those outlets look like (ministry, tutoring, something creative, etc.)? 

Beat yourself up for a week then find a constructive means to move forward.

At the very least, they'll need a meaningful way to occupy your time until next application season. There are several MTS/ThM/etc options with later deadlines should you find yourself in such a situation. There are plenty of M* graduates that strike out on PhD programs and go into ministry, nonprofits, etc. I know many ministers that teach part-time as adjuncts at their local CC or SLAC.

I think no matter what you have to continue pursuing theology to some degree. Maybe it's as an avid reader, applied journal submissions, diocese/conference presentations, etc. Something initially attracted you to pursuing the academic study of theology and if you don't nurture it, a part of you will die.

One can always reshape their focus but lets face it, getting into a RS or Theology program is fucking hard. English and History PhD programs are a dime a dozen and if you're willing to move, you can likely get in somewhere. Given the already low number of RS programs and even smaller number of faculty that cover your interests - it's not uncommon to only have 3-5 schools that are reasonable fits.

I'm currently serving in the parish as an ordained minister, and could do this work for a lifetime. 

I have a deep desire to study more deeply, and I would love to do that in a formal, residential, academic program in the states. I will apply for one more cycle, and expand potential schools in the coming year, but if that doesn't work, I will consider overseas, non-residential programs and/or try to find other ways to deepen my study.  

Serving where I am, far away from a theological library, I've found Vanderbilt's Kesler program to be a tremendous access to let me have access to books that I otherwise would be unable to afford. I've found xypathos' words to be true, though -- not continuing to read and write is, for me, not an option.  

I'm currently doing my Master at Hebrew University of Jerusalem, in a 2 year program. So, I'm extending 1 more year to write a thesis,  improve my Syriac and German. 

Next round I'll definitely consider opening my options to Europe, or even doing it here in H.U. (The down side is the funding which is not enough for living in a city as Jerusalem)