Translating a chapter of a book - research experience?

euronymous_oystein

Question

Hello!

My girlfriend was asked  by her  supervisor if she wants to translate a chapter of an english book  to her mother tongue. She will give her some  money,  but her question is:  is  it considered as research experience? The book is a very well known  book related to the field of her bachelor's  thesis.

Every answer will be appreciated.

Thank you very much!

5 answers to this question

Translation can be considered research sometimes. This is particularly in the modern languages where one's area of expertise can be translation. But translating a book chapter for money as an undergrad is highly unlikely to be seen as research.

7 hours ago, rising_star said:

Translation can be considered research sometimes. This is particularly in the modern languages where one's area of expertise can be translation. But translating a book chapter for money as an undergrad is highly unlikely to be seen as research.

She didn't know at first that she will get money, but she accepted, and then her professor told her that she will also receive some money. In any case, this is not the whole point.

I mean, her field is developmental biology. This is a very well-known book of developmental biology, which hasn't been translated in her language. So, if I understand correctly, translation of this kind of book will not be considered as research experience?

Then well, could it be considered as teaching experience? How would you add it to your CV?

6 hours ago, athan892 said:

She didn't know at first that she will get money, but she accepted, and then her professor told her that she will also receive some money. In any case, this is not the whole point.

I mean, her field is developmental biology. This is a very well-known book of developmental biology, which hasn't been translated in her language. So, if I understand correctly, translation of this kind of book will not be considered as research experience?

Then well, could it be considered as teaching experience? How would you add it to your CV?

It's not teaching experience either. But it's not like teaching experience is helpful for grad school applications anyways. In the sciences, translation work like this isn't considered research experience. 

She can still add it to her CV. Depending on how the rest of the CV is structured, she could put it as "Other experience" or "Work experience" or maybe even "Service". If she has zero or only one research experience, then having a single "work experience" category for both research and non-research work might be a good idea (not much point in having a single-item category). If she has 2 or more other research experience, then it might be better to keep this translation work separate.

What is your girlfriend's main motivation for taking this work (also, might be better to hear from her directly)? If it is to have something on her CV that will help her get into grad school, then I don't think this type of work will help. The main way it will help would be to get to know this prof better and maybe it will open up other opportunities. And, getting a paid job is nice. But if she has other actual research opportunities and grad school is her goal, I think she should pursue those opportunities instead.

7 hours ago, athan892 said:

Correct, it is not teaching experience nor is it research experience. I would, as @TakeruK has suggested, list it under work experience. I also wonder why this professor is using an undergrad to do this, rather than a professional translator...

23 hours ago, rising_star said:

Correct, it is not teaching experience nor is it research experience. I would, as @TakeruK has suggested, list it under work experience. I also wonder why this professor is using an undergrad to do this, rather than a professional translator...

This is why I asked in here, because I also found it a bit strange... Thanks for confirming my thoughts!

On 3/14/2018 at 6:04 PM, TakeruK said:

It's not teaching experience either. But it's not like teaching experience is helpful for grad school applications anyways. In the sciences, translation work like this isn't considered research experience. 

She can still add it to her CV. Depending on how the rest of the CV is structured, she could put it as "Other experience" or "Work experience" or maybe even "Service". If she has zero or only one research experience, then having a single "work experience" category for both research and non-research work might be a good idea (not much point in having a single-item category). If she has 2 or more other research experience, then it might be better to keep this translation work separate.

What is your girlfriend's main motivation for taking this work (also, might be better to hear from her directly)? If it is to have something on her CV that will help her get into grad school, then I don't think this type of work will help. The main way it will help would be to get to know this prof better and maybe it will open up other opportunities. And, getting a paid job is nice. But if she has other actual research opportunities and grad school is her goal, I think she should pursue those opportunities instead.

I see your point. Okay, I will inform her. Thank you very much guys!